Buckled (car) alloy wheel advice needed please

crud

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Bought my wife an 09 mini from an independent dealer just less than three months ago.

Car came with the standard three month warrenty but still has six months with the manufacturer so I was happy that I didnt have to drive back to independents if there were any problems (60 miles).

There were, some knocking required two new rear bushes at local main dealers, they also did a free of charge full vehicle check, and came back with the front nearside alloy has a bad dent on the inside edge, infact so bad that when the car is due its first MOT it wont pass.

Looked through the paperwork of the car and it had a mini inspection a few months before we bought it detailing the same damage.

We have got back to the independents who have said take the car back and they will bash the alloy back into place

Im saying I want an new wheel, they are saying the wont do anything until they see the wheel but the believe it can be repaired.

Now the wheel is a rare 17" item not the run of the mill ones so I can see why they want to save a few bob but im not happy at all, I'd worry about a professional doing the work never mind a backstreet garage subsidery of the independent main dealer.

Also, Im led to believe any work under warranty does not require a receipt? what position would i be in if the wheel disintergrates down the line?

for info it was a 10k car and its £180 pound for a new wheel fitted by bmw, not a lot for the very large independent to swallow I would have thought.

plus dont they have warranty insurance anyway?

Am I in my rights to demand a new wheel? is there any legislation that can help me?

You'd definitely be better off with a new wheel, whether you're entitled to one under warranty or not.

Sounds like you have grounds for some sort of claim, even if it's not for the complete wheel/tyre?

GT-Steve":2a8zj7u9 said:
You'd definitely be better off with a new wheel, whether you're entitled to one under warranty or not.

Sounds like you have grounds for some sort of claim, even if it's not for the complete wheel/tyre?

Tyre is fine, don't really want a claim or any headache, garage are agreeing it shouldnt have been sold like that and they will fix it under warranty. Its just their idea of fixing and mine are different...

was hoping some motoring body of some sort looked down at the practice of bashing alloy wheels straight so I've got a bit of back up when i drive up saturday.

I had exactly the same problem with my car!!

I bought my car from the main dealer (2nd hand, 3 years old) and they self MOT'd it.

The next year it failed the MOT as there was a dent/bad buckle on the outside rim of the front drivers side alloy (Wasn't me and I hadn't noticed it before).

I was furious but the dealer said tough basically.

I took it to my local preferred garage/MOT station for a quote and second opinion to be professionally repaired. They took it into the workshop (tyre still on) smacked hell out of it with a hammer (I later learnt!) brought it back and said; " There you go that'll pass, and free of charge sir"!!.

I was a bit annoyed at first cos I had thoughts of metal fatigue on aluminium, perhaps a new week point, imbalances, risk of implosion etc etc, but that was 3 years ago and it's perfect, looks no worse than a kerb scuff tbh!!

Not saying it'll work for you but perhaps it's worth a try especially if its not even visible afterwards.

visit trading standards/ citizens advice 'not of merchantable quality', 'not fit for purpose' and unsafe if its an MOT fail.

thanks for the replies, will defo go down the trading standards route if they try to say its ok to work into shape.

Did they actually say they would bash it back into shape? If so run a Mile.

I know someone with a professional wheel straightening machine that cost many thousands of pounds and it works a treat.

lewis1641":3oj0sgo1 said:
Did they actually say they would bash it back into shape? If so run a Mile.

I know someone with a professional wheel straightening machine that cost many thousands of pounds and it works a treat.

yes, dont worry this is not going to happen, im taking the car up so they can see the damage.

Back