BSO Feature....The Scrapheap Challenge!

i disagree ,my first mtb was a raliegh marauder , i thought it was great
till i rode a mates DB topanga and realised the marauder was crap
but it didn't break and it all did as it should unlike the above mentioned cycles

One of my Haiti charity bikes is a Raleigh Montana, from about 1990. It's made of plain guage high tensile steel, 15 gears and has Van Schotthorst rims. It's the same as a

True, it's heavy, but it's well designed and suitable for purpose. Look at any train station, and you'll find at least one of these machines locked up.

No modern BSO will be in use in 20 years time. They are built to be sold, not to be used.

Nah not built to be sold , built to meet the demands of the people who want the image without the cost .

Our crappy bikes of years ago lasted us as they were so simple , not much to go wrong on a basic bike that had been much the same for many decades before . Sure the geometry is a bit off and the tubes could carry gas around your home but it's hard to get that level of engineering that wrong . Add in some pivots , shocks , bushings , calipers , discs etc and your asking for too much technology than can be bought at that price level .

You could buy a competent bike for your £90 , just don't expect it to have the technology of the one that's ten times that amount because funnily enough it's that expensive for a reason .

mikee":g3l82pcn said:
i disagree ,my first mtb was a raliegh marauder , i thought it was great
till i rode a mates DB topanga and realised the marauder was crap
but it didn't break and it all did as it should unlike the above mentioned cycles

A Raleigh Marauder just doesn't compare to a modern BSO. I had a Raleigh Amazon with 100GS as my first bike and I rode that everywhere, no it wasn't brilliant, but the brakes and gears worked, unlike modern BSO's.

I think too much of the £90odd goes towards useless suspension at the expense of brakes and gears. BSO's wern't this cheap 20 years ago, and even more of a difference if you take into account inflation.

bso's are built to feed the masses, built cheap, sold over priced for what they are! and are part of our throw away culture! if they give someone some enjoyment and the bug to move on and buy a real bike then great but as already said they are not built to last and 99% of them will rust peacefully behind the shed forgotten after they break and the owner cant be asked to throw any more of their hard earned cash at it

Back