BSO Feature....The Scrapheap Challenge!

perversley, BSOs are benefitting LBS's. A mate of mine has a relative who runs a small bike shop. We were chatting and I got onto the topic of how LBS's were closing cos the big bike stores held all the brand franchises. My mate tells me his bro is making more money than ever setting up and fettling with BSO's ....

Like velo I had a crap mtb to start with . Funnily enough it lasted quite well as it was a nice and simple rigid , don't blame the bikes , blame the moronic owners who can't see that a full suspenders bike for £90 is absolute shite . It's this idea that you can buy amazing for peanuts that I don't like .

I would happily spend all day or more explaining how each individual part was engineered better at different price points and how the initial cost will save you money over time but surprise surprise very few care . " I'm not paying that much " :roll: ok then close your eyes and buy the lump of iron , it'll look lovely rusting away in your back garden .

I always ask what the bikes use will be and then steer the person towards the rigids .

Sadly I saw a pallet full of crappy suspenders in the warehouse today :cry: :cry: maybe if I ignore them they will go away :LOL:

On a more positive note a couple are going to be thrown away as they were harvested for a few parts for other crappy bikes that came out of the box with broken bits , they never made it past the warehouse before fulfilling their destinies as landfill :LOL:

bicycles are meant to be BS certified
this deems them fit for purpose
a lot of these bso's of asian origin are neither ,as stated you can't tighten
most of it up and most of the ones i v'e come across (nephews/nieces neighbours) are death traps
trading standards should be investigating imho

the tyres oddly enough seem good on them tho

*goes off to buy some BSO tyres* :LOL:
are they made by feng sheng and another brand beginning with 'n' which always reminds me of nokian :shock:

I think the they help to keep cycling a marginal activity. Some of them are so bad, they get ridden once or twice then they're off to landfill.

There's no reason to buy one when you consider how many secondhand machines are available for less money.

I agree. Ordinary Joe public decide to retry cycling, discover it is hard work and dead scary. No wonder they give it up.

Most people would give up car ownership if they bought a £75 car. :LOL:

Having recently been asked to fettle a friend's acquisition for his daughter, I bought a nice set of Tektro brakes on ebay, which cured the worst of its faults.

Most people would give up car ownership if they bought a £75 car

I like the " you can buy a car for that " comments , they always think they have said something original and witty ; It's an often used argument that can be crushed with a simple " oh , you make it sound like I couldn't buy a car for £50 ."

Had a lady come in today that wasn't happy with the new bso her husband bought her for xmas ( she didn't do anything more than sit on it ) and was after something a bit better , which was nice . I sent her off to look at the internet and get back to me once she had seen something she liked the look of .

perry":3819qtz3 said:
Had a lady come in today that wasn't happy with the new bso her husband bought her for xmas ( she didn't do anything more than sit on it ) and was after something a bit better , which was nice . I sent her off to look at the internet and get back to me once she had seen something she liked the look of .

Did you send her here?

Nah I wrote down " hotcougar.co.uk " for her :LOL:

We didn't have anything half way decent built up for the ladies ( something for me to do when I'm back in ) No point looking through a catalog as the shops site will allow you to zoom and offer a much nicer resolution than some printed paper .

She was quite nice and understood a fair bit . I did the " will you be wanting rear suspension ?" and got a " nah I don't think it's really necessary " back and shes right , your going to have to drive very far from here to warrant any kind of suspension .

strikes me that a lot of our first bikes were not much better than the BSOs of today. Mine had steel rims, those funny fibre type brake pads with dodgy caliper brakes, weighed a ton etc...

maybe my parents bought BSOs :oops:

Back