BSA Prima project - now for sale

Re:

Thanks all. Yes, it looks pretty good to me too. And Goldie, those forks certainly look the part, thanks. Thanks as well to to reynoldsfan who provided all the parts the bike didn't come with. If you know what I mean...

How does it ride Chris? I should say light, lively and pretty fast, if only I had the legs still. It's donkey's years since I rode such a close ratio set-up (14-20 7 speed, with 52/42 at the front) but here in flattest Norfolk it seems emininently usable. The Suntour Vx changer handles the 7 speed perfectly and with the "ratchet action" on the downstroke the "Power" levers make changing precise and dead easy. Half way to SIS! I have to say that it is a tad large for me so it didn't look too great with the saddle lowered somewhat to accommodate my wee stumpies. I keep buying bikes that are always a little large. Tell me to stop!

And for an old clunker it ain't too hefty - weighs in at 10.4Kg, that's 23lbs in old money.

Given its size this may be appearing in "bikes for sale" in the not too distant future. Although I don't anticipate recouping all that it has cost me :facepalm: , in the usual way!

But the pleasure of refurbishing an old machine that seemed too far gone more than outweighs that. And of course, being involved with you people here makes it better. Thanks for your encouragement as always, as well as all the lovely shiny bits :LOL: .

Re:

Interesting rebuild,
I've been thinking of doing a BSA rebuild (forever!)
On the topic of tight tyre fitting, your dad was right that washing up liquid will help ease the tyre on, but a little bit of cautionary advice here.
Washing up liquid is a detergent and contains a fair amount of salt (it's used to make it thicker) which will corrode both steel and worse aluminium, especially thin tyre rims.
A friendly car tyre fitting-bay manager told me to use simple car shampoo instead as it contains no salt - think cars, salt, water, body rot.
To sum up -
Use simple car shampoo as a tyre fitting lubricant, not washing up liquid.
Avoid the rot!
All the best in cycling,
Robin.

Re:

Interesting rebuild,
I've been thinking of doing a BSA rebuild (forever!)
On the topic of tight tyre fitting, your dad was right that washing up liquid will help ease the tyre on, but a little bit of cautionary advice here.
Washing up liquid is a detergent and contains a fair amount of salt (it's used to make it thicker) which will corrode both steel and worse aluminium, especially thin tyre rims.
A friendly car tyre fitting-bay manager told me to use simple car shampoo instead as it contains no salt - think cars, salt, water, body rot.
To sum up -
Use simple car shampoo as a tyre fitting lubricant, not washing up liquid.
Avoid the rot!
All the best in cycling,
Robin.
Incidentally to revive this I saw this bikes twin the other day for sale - unrestored - at a car boot sale in Earlestown near st helens. Seemed very light indeed 531 etc but I didn't see the frame number. 10 speed etc. Buyer was asking £40 I'm sure you could have got it for a bit less.

Why didn't buy it ? No time or space for another project. Also I'd have wanted to fit sti shifters, more modern dual pivots etc which I know is heresy to many here !

40 quid! I'd have snapped it up - but too many bikes already as well.
But not heresy to want to modernise or upgrade, at all. We're a pretty broad church here after all. Do whatever you want, not to please others.

Back