Brush Painting A Frame

Nice job. Too nice for this process as the idea is to leave it with brush marks to get the distressed finish. Just looking for paint so far black under kawasaki green caliper paint is favourite.

An older gentlemen in Canada has this website where he describes brush painting a frame in detail.

I came across that site too and had a good read before I painted my frame.

What I found was:

Don't try and apply paint too thick. Apply several thin coats, three in my case.

Allow plenty of time between coats for the paint to harden, I left the frame and forks on a radiator for four or five days between coats then rubbed down with fine 1200 grade wet and dry before applying a subsequent coat.

I left the final coat for a good week, before buffing with some T-Cut, then applying some wax polish.

Try to work quickly and don't fuss too much. If I you get a run, don't worry, you can flatten it out with some wet and dry before applying the next coat.

In the end it wasn't that much cheaper than powder coating. I had a frame shot blasted and powder coated for £40.00, but I had to courier it to and from a place 200 miles away, which cost an additional £30.00. The paint, a decent brush and a few sheets of wet and dry cost me nearly £30.00, plus a good few hours of my time. If there was a decent, fairly cheap powder coater nearby, I'd probably have had it powder coated.

Right, I have a bit of time on my hands at present and have a suitable frame on the way. Will be using brake caliper paint as i can get 250ml cans delivered cheaply. Now all I have to do is decide on a colour scheme. I have a number of possibles:

yellow over blue (GT team scream stylie), lime(kawasaki) green over black, lime green over blue, yellow over black.

Help me out guys.

Hi HM , good to see your back to normal mate ! I reckon the green and blue sounds interesting

I really can't decide. These are my options

4385e90849ac951acaf826dd2b74015c_zps080a65a1.jpg

Gold over........... BRG

Back