British Sport

Funny that, because I was just off the Skype with my bro who used to work with a few of that team, and he says the opposite. Everyone loves a winner, I am sure your source will reappraise that assessment!

highlandsflyer":2cw2a55d said:
Funny that, because I was just off the Skype with my bro who used to work with a few of that team, and he says the opposite. Everyone loves a winner, I am sure your source will reappraise that assessment!

Don't know mate, can only go on what he told me

The team shots after the race on Sunday, didn't really show any ambivalence to him.

Everything I've read about the driver / team dynamic tells me, if a driver is performing, the team seem to like them.

Rosberg impressed me greatly during and after the race. He had the honesty and transparency to recognise, after the race, that the fault didn't make any true difference - Hamilton was already leading and pulling away. And he made a balanced, lucid synopsis of both their seasons, and recognised his own shortcomings - all within a brief period after the race.

A lot of drivers would have lept at the chance to park it when the team called him in, but he didn't - and by that point, I doubt it was a last wild hair of hope - think he was 12th at the time.

I'm hardly a big fan of Hamilton - but not really a hater either. However you spin it, though, he more than deserved this WC. He out-raced Rosberg all season, and Rosberg never put a true overtake on him that stuck, or wasn't down to car problems.

That said, Rosberg also proved something - he was the man in qualifying - which is a bigger surprise over Hamilton. What I'm a little unsure on, was whether that was purely because he has managed to be truly quicker in qualie scenarios, or whether simply he's less prone to mistakes over very limited / short runs.

I choose to think Mercedes done good this year in letting them compete - largely. That said, I think it was a mistake to be anything other than impartial over the Spa incident - let them call it as they see it behind closed doors, but I think it was an error to air that in public. I think it (and previous instances that were the triggers for that) went, someway, to undermine Rosberg - although in fairness, I think Hamilton was just better racer than Rosberg this season.

highlandsflyer":3qrrj6zs said:
Hamilton is a legend. Rosberg is a one time winner's son.
Credit where it's due, though - Rosberg displayed a certain decency, lucidity and presence of mind right after Sunday's race. There's not many on the grid, I'd see as either being so honest, objective or pragmatic about it all.

And if Hamilton is as good as everybody says, he was taken to the last race, in identical equipment, even with a convincing amount of race wins in his favour.

He made those wins, despite a less than glorious mechanical history.

Irony as it is, Rosberg did not have such a deficit to overcome.

Re:

Hamilton DNF'd three times. Rosberg twice, and had the obvious trouble in Abu Dhabi. I'd say mechanically they were broadly equal. Double points flatters the standings somewhat.

Hamilton can drive fast, nobody is saying otherwise. But as a human being he's dirt. Rosberg showed his class after the race, I couldn't see Lewis doing the same in reverse. He'd need to win another two at least before he's considered a great imo. Vettel has four and he wouldn't get a mention from most.

In hindsight it was an inspired move to Merc though, I'll give him that.

Re:

Good stuff!

it cuts both ways with public images, we are assuming an awful lot because we really don't know too much. I think the esteem Lewis is held in by the likes of Sir Jackie and Moss, as well as his fellow professionals speaks much more than the collective views of the tabloid eating galoots.

Back