British Eagle Randonnee restoration

Nice to see a British Eagle on the forum, I have a 501 Le Tour bought new in about 1990. I couldn't stretch to the next model up which was a 531, Touristique I think it was called. I'm no expert but they seem like excellent bikes and it's strange how seldom you come across one. Mine has pretty good decals on, I'll post photos when I qualify.

Re: Decals

Blindlemon":3dxb2zjt said:
Thanks Rich34. I've sent Gil_M a personal message. Here's hoping.

There are British Eagle decal sets doing the rounds on eBay at present. Not cheap at about 36 quid a pop mind! :shock:

David

No, you need the ones with the "Venetian Blind" effect. Here's mine from a similar vintage: <http://www.flickr.com/photos/27344909@N02/5984709987/in/photostream>

Attachments

• British Eagle Le Tour.jpg
    British Eagle Le Tour.jpg
    385.9 KB · Views: 1,650
Yay another British Eagle!

Hi William,
Always glad to see another British Eagle. You're correct twice over, they are lovely bikes and the Touristique was the 531ST tube set. There was also a Triathlon model, the Aris Tri.
Your decals have faired better than mine. I spent a lot of effort trying to identify the type faces used as then it would be relatively simple to re-create the decals. Got close on the script text but never found a "Ventian blind" font at all (great name for it by the way)
I was thinking of doing a mini tour to Mochdre on the Randonnee some time this summer, you never know I may bump into some-one who has a stash of old decals in their loft.........dream on.

One way to get the "Venetian Blind" effect (if you're designing your own decals) is simply to draw horizontal lines across the lettering. You can do this easily if you're drafting the lettering with a Word Document. I'm having some decals made for one of my bikes at the moment, looking good so far although a professional is finishing it off for me.

decals

Hi.
if you google NICK AT LLOYDS he carries a hugh range of decals and what he has not got he can usually make up for you. First rate chap to deal with as well. All you really need is a photo of what you are requiring
regards
Peter

Blindlemon":g8wnkf5x said:
Also meant to say...love those chrome forks. Why didn't mine have those?
Mine didn't have them either till I had a "stick in the spokes - over the bars" incident!

Back