British Eagle 531 project. Almost finished...

lastpubrunner":1g4zaxkc said:
Flashspix":1g4zaxkc said:
I Picked up a British Eagle Kinetic a couple of weeks ago, it appears that between 79 and 84 they made 2x 531 Models - the Touristique and Kinetic.

I think that they made three models.

I've recently picked up a British Eagle Kinetic 500EX, mine has decals - 'British Eagle Kinetic 500EX' but it also has large (original) decals saying 'Hybrid' and '50/50'. It is surprisingly light - I wonder how the frame differs (if at all), from the Kinetic road bike ?

Hi Lastpubrunner
Can you post a pic or three, would love to see it

Did someone say British Eagle?

Old old thread now but heres two very early Eagle MTB, one is made from the short lived 531cs - 'Club Sport' tubing and the other was 531 but both out of road tubing rather than 531 All Terrain

file.php

Force 18 from around 1987/8

file.php

And a drop bar converted 'something 12' from 1986

file.php

legrandefromage":3qx1yyx7 said:

Old old thread now but heres two very early Eagle MTB, one is made from the short lived 531cs - 'Club Sport' tubing and the other was 531 but both out of road tubing rather than 531 All Terrain

file.php

file.php

file.php

Great post !! they both must be amazing to ride off road, light and tough? Shimano components all round?

Flashspix":1trv4p4t said:
lastpubrunner":1trv4p4t said:
Flashspix":1trv4p4t said:
I Picked up a British Eagle Kinetic a couple of weeks ago, it appears that between 79 and 84 they made 2x 531 Models - the Touristique and Kinetic.

I think that they made three models.

I've recently picked up a British Eagle Kinetic 500EX, mine has decals - 'British Eagle Kinetic 500EX' but it also has large (original) decals saying 'Hybrid' and '50/50'. It is surprisingly light - I wonder how the frame differs (if at all), from the Kinetic road bike ?

Hi Lastpubrunner
Can you post a pic or three, would love to see it

Here are some pics; it doesn't display the quality of your own steed, but I guess this is more of a functional 'do everything' type of bike. Obviously, the wheels aren't original, but I think that everything else is. It's surprisingly light. Oh yes, I've never seen the word 'Hybrid' on a derailleur before.

I'm pretty sure this would have been built in Newtown - I got it from a small village in-between Newtown & Welshpool.

Attachments

• BE8.jpg
    BE8.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 1,149
  • BE7.jpg
    BE7.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 1,145
  • BE6.jpg
    BE6.jpg
    270 KB · Views: 1,144
  • BE5.jpg
    BE5.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 1,145
  • BE4.jpg
    BE4.jpg
    309.2 KB · Views: 1,145
  • BE3.jpg
    BE3.jpg
    234.4 KB · Views: 1,147
  • BE2.jpg
    BE2.jpg
    266.6 KB · Views: 1,147
  • BE1.jpg
    BE1.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 1,149
legrandefromage":kuycjljm said:

file.php

file.php

file.php

The frame & forks of the Force 18 bike look similar to my own - but is the Reynolds transfer on mine a similar date ? The tubing on mine looks more slender than I'd have expected for a 'Hybrid' bike, I wonder if it is also road tubing ?

The Reynolds transfer says "Reynolds Butted Frame Tubing" - but what will the forks be made from ? They look exactly the same as those on LGF's Force 18 bike.

What size wheels would these have had originally ? Mine's got Mavic Open4CD wheels - I've always considered these to be a good, strong wheel, which will be fine for road use and even very light off-road - canal towpath type surface.

I'm really looking forward to trying the bike out - missus won't be pleased, when she spots it in the garage . . . "no room for a car etc., etc." :D

Your 531 decal and the 500CX range date from around 1990/91

And your hybrid frame is quite different with the older Eagles, they both have adjustable drop outs, different stays etc.

The older Eagles have different forks too, cast crown, separate steerer then legs whereas yours has legs joined onto the steerer.

Have a gaze in here for all the various Reynolds frames from the 1980's

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=93142&hilit=reynolds

file.php

legrandefromage":1j0o43pg said:
Your 531 decal and the 500CX range date from around 1990/91

And your hybrid frame is quite different with the older Eagles, they both have adjustable drop outs, different stays etc.

The older Eagles have different forks too, cast crown, separate steerer then legs whereas yours has legs joined onto the steerer.

Thank you for all the information that you've provided - most interesting.

Now you've pointed them out, I can certainly see the differences.

Will my bike be a British made British Eagle ? I assumed it would be, as I got it from Berriew - as small village just North of Newtown.

The tubing on my bike - it doesn't seem as 'chunky' as I'd have expected for a Mountain Bike, but perhaps slightly heavier than a road bike; did 'Hybrids' have their own 531 tubing ? What do you think the forks might be ? Hi-tensile steel ?

In all, the bike is much lighter than a mountain bike; I'm a little perplexed about what to do with it - perhaps my son can use it as a runaround.

Back