Brian Rourke 853 touring/trekking bike

velocipede

Senior Retro Guru
I bought this with big plans in mind - nice tall headtube to help with my recovery from a broken back (14 weeks ago now) and nice low gears for the same.

The problem is - I can't make it fit! It's 2cm too short in the seat tube and same again on the top tube - so very sadly it's got to get moved on again.

Absolutely amazing, one-off frameset built to take 26" wheels, with masses of brazeons and mounts for guards and front & rear carriers. It was built for the original owner who used it for some pretty epic tours. Her name (Sue) is still on the top tube, hidden under some white insulation tape!

Sue reckoned that Brian said, when he was measuring her up, that they hadn't built anything like this before - obviously the majority of what they build are road bikes, and the odd rare MTB - but this is a bit in-between!!

The frame is in pretty good condition, no dents, plenty of scratches though. There is some scabbing under the top tube around the cable guides, hard to show in the pics (I tried to show the worst) - if I was keeping it, I think I'd clean this off and over-spray it - given the white panel on the top tube I was thinking I'd just rub it down, inc Sue's name (!) and over spray in white - anyway that would be up to you.

It's built with Reynolds 853, with the usual Rourke wraparound seatstays.

Spec as it came:

Chris King Sotto Vocce headset
Shimano SLX shifters, mechs, cranks, BB
Shimano hydraulic discs (not sure of the model)
Hope Pro II hubs on Mavic rims, built by Brian Rourkes

I've been playing about with various bar combinations to see if I can make it fit - hence the mass of photos in slightly different set-ups - thought I might as well share them all here!

Tyre clearance is interesting - 45mm Schwalbe Marathons fitted and it measures 56mm between the chainstays (see photo) - so not big enough for MTB knobblies but planty of room for the Schwalbes - I've got some 1.25" Panaracers and Specialized road tyres for it too - it flies with those on!!

It's now got a newer saddle ready to sell on (last few pics) - it's a lovely thing but just not right for me!

Ukz7LML.jpg

y3Cuq4x.jpg

ZkpI9s2.jpg

oCCdKX4.jpg

PtpVrks.jpg

OnUQupc.jpg

IBUGRVo.jpg

rb9Zy7e.jpg

fNLkYbF.jpg

YpAy8s8.jpg

XEPgwtH.jpg

4ZaGybq.jpg

tNC2YzS.jpg

V7Udcpg.jpg

rfjrqWi.jpg

4KUFNha.jpg

sFHScbF.jpg

VW6ob6e.jpg

n6T3l3m.jpg

1KKHJey.jpg

S3G0RyX.jpg

hbKMo8A.jpg

xuR3cwz.jpg

gkdhquM.jpg

c86ATRu.jpg

VpbEiK1.jpg

pxeieHB.jpg

6WnakZp.jpg

CsPDaQG.jpg

I've put this up on ebay now and will list in the Classifieds here too - it's definitely too small despite my best efforts to make it fit with various bar and stem combos!!

Back