Brian Rourke 853 (The Red One)

Re: Rourke 853 build

20150604_113040.jpg

Yesterday I decided to take the morning off work, and rode 20 km up the Douro river into the interior of Northern Portugal, until I found some open country with higher hills. The Rourke performed excellently, but I am finding the front end slightly high on the steepest climbs, and the forks are too soft for someone of my weight.

The History Man":rxuv2v2c said:
Still got the rigid chrome ones?

Yes, still got the chrome rigids stashed away out of sight, just in case the pace forks need to come off.

Spring is here...

20170406_114037.jpg

I've added a Nitto Bullmoose bar/stem combo to the Rouke, along with a set of Ergon grips and bar ends. I really like the look of the stem, and almost as importantly, the set up is a lot more comfortable on long rides. After two years of niggling dislike of the bar and stem I had been using, finally I'm happy with that part of the bike.

20170406_113320.jpg

I've switched from a 1.9 to 2.0 Maxxis Larsen TT on the rear, which just clears the chain stays as long as the rear wheel is kept nice and true. Also recently added is a Maxxis Ignitor 2.1 tyre on the front wheel, which seems to be a pretty good all rounder in the area I ride. I did toy with the idea of fitting a 2.35 Maxxis Larsen TT, but I wasn't convinced the tyre would have enough clearance under the fork brace.

Overall still very happy with this frame ... eternally grateful to THM for sending it my way.

The Rourke's still going strong as my main rider.

I've been pondering whether to have a rigid fork made for the Rourke, with clearance for a 26x3.0 tyre. Anyway, I was just browsing the rourke.biz site and found this 90s beauty (not mine obviously), which Rourke Cycles recently renovated:

Shentos_rourke_853_mtb-1.jpg

Back