• Shamobius' 1988 Doug Bradbury Manitou

Votes: 13 9.9%
  • uschibert's 1994 Brodie eXpresso

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • Minifreak's 1992 Orange Vitamin T

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • theproscloset's 1983 Ritchey MountainBikes Faux Lug Competition

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • Defiant's Nuke Proof Titanium (Former Brooklyn Flyer Team Bike)

Votes: 11 8.4%
  • Retro_Roy's Titan Titanium

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Raymond_mole's 1990 Team Klein Attitude

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • al's 1993 KHS Montana Team FXT

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • Mkozaczek's 1989 Merlin Titanium

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • SYN-CROSSIS' 1994 FUNK

Votes: 43 32.8%
  • Mike E.'s 1991 OffRoad Toad

Votes: 10 7.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Re:

captaincosmic":2b28mw81 said:
As an Engineer you know that's all a poor excuse and as a designer I know that Ridgeback and Orange chose from products offered and no 'design' was involved other than Accountancy.

I spent weeks / maybe even months researching what my Ridgeback was as I had no idea when I bought it. There's nothing else like it.
This was Madison's first attempt at a bike, so I'm sure they were receptive to advice / copying other companies bikes. There's no way a company just starting to make frames can make something for the price point mine was made for.

Don't think there's an identical bike to the Orange titaniums either?

Re:

Sorry your search was so difficult I know who made mine and the same guys still work for Grant in Derby they aren't cheap but what they do is quality and they employ real people here in the UK with all the shit that goes with it and makes using an overseas build so much easier.
I know as I keep 120 guys employed by doing the care about people thing going

Well the Ridgeback was a low end bike for people who wanted to try a new style of bike. If they had to make the frame in the UK then it wouldn't have happened.

How many of us would be here if it wasn't for Taiwanese made frames / bikes? Not many considering most MTB's in the 90's under £1000 were made there.

And before Raleigh are mentioned, their low-end gas pipe MTB's were dire. Mine was 6lb heavier than even the cheapest catalog bike and had dangerous steel rims.

Yeah, that was what I meant. We're lucky to see more than a couple of British built bikes in one BotM.

Rampage":mst4d0u9 said:
Ridgeback and Orange would have likely been designed in the UK by UK companies. The Ridgeback was made somewhere in Asia I expect as it had to make a price point, labour costs and very experienced people. The Orange was made in USA as it was far better than anyone could have done in the UK.

From memory, the Orange was made in the far east too, the later model being assembled by Sandvik, (I could have Vit t and T2 the wrong way round mind, but I kept my t2, and it was all so long ago).

Re: Re:

captaincosmic":39ts4fc2 said:
As an Engineer you know that's all a poor excuse and as a designer I know that Ridgeback and Orange chose from products offered and no 'design' was involved other than Accountancy.

Fact, the first Orange and Tushingham was a resprayed Muddy Fox. They then sought the help of TWG for design improvements for the clockwork and extending the range to formula etc, Im sure its all on the British steel thread or somewhere, I think I posted pics of the TWG clockwork/formula with roller cams? , before fabrication was taken to the far east to hit Price points. Which did indeed upset a few, when they bore a badge Handbuilt in England. (Overburys etc). it should have read hand assembled, as the frames came back and were assembled here.

Back