• Magas’ 1996 Explosif

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • Once A Hero’s 1990 Explosif

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • Apparition_Cycles' 1993 Kilauea

Votes: 3 2.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Well done on a convincing win @al-onestare. A badge will be winging its way to you momentarily.

@Peachy! I believe the pics were taken by a photographer at the Kona store 2022 product launch.

I was glad to see my old Explosif do so well against a crazy strong field. A big thanks goes out to everyone for taking the time to enter their bikes.
Nice to see your 1988-89 Explosif do so well - it's my favourite here.

This might be the first time I voted for a winner. Difficult choice though. I would love to ride one of the titanium bikes with a bomber fork but that green paint job is too good to pass up.

Well that's a lovely surprise. Thank you to everyone who voted, liked or commented, especially those past and present on the rather long build, history and riding experience thread. In case you haven't binged it Netflix style, it's here.

Within that, near the end you'll see the day I visited Pip with said bike and Hot and he was mega stoked to see them in the flesh and took a few snaps:

Ub4fl6.jpg

pEt6FS.jpg

I was equally stoked to see his incredible collection. His stars and bars KK, now with Wadsy here, is an absolute belter, perhaps the finest Kona I've ever seen (and luckily for him, an inch too small for me). In my eyes, this is the winner.

cYD5dC.jpg

Last edited:
A very worthy winner in a *very* strong field. I think this month was tougher than a BOTY competition and its lovely to see so many Konas come out hiding and also to hear the stories and builds that Pip inspired.

Great result to a great comp, i think Pip will be blown away by the response of so many.

And i agree with @al-onestare above, the Stars n Bars KK is the ultimate Kona, deserving of a top draw build though imo

Just one thing and I'm sure you meant top build in the right way.

Pip was never one to build a bike NOS or a throwback catalogue build. He was always thinking of what works best today, using a blend of older and newer parts. Whilst he certainly had strong views on 1* (see his Emperors New Clothes thread for a proper chuckle), he used 2* a lot and as wadsy's build reflects, it has some proper stealth parts just as Pip's original build did to. Check out the wheelset, the forks, the brakes, the cranks - it's super-high quality.

It's stupidly light, super plush, and with the quality frame, I have no doubt it's a blast to ride with the best direct pedal power to go feel out there. If only it was 19"... (not sure I've mentioned that before :LOL: )

Just one thing and I'm sure you meant top build in the right way.

Pip was never one to build a bike NOS or a throwback catalogue build. He was always thinking of what works best today, using a blend of older and newer parts. Whilst he certainly had strong views on 1* (see his Emperors New Clothes thread for a proper chuckle), he used 2* a lot and as wadsy's build reflects, it has some proper stealth parts just as Pip's original build did to. Check out the wheelset, the forks, the brakes, the cranks - it's super-high quality.

It's stupidly light, super plush, and with the quality frame, I have no doubt it's a blast to ride with the best direct pedal power to go feel out there. If only it was 19"... (not sure I've mentioned that before :LOL: )

Thanks Al 😊

Yes, Pip did build as you say; bikes built to ride as he wanted, not fussed about period correct etc - using 'modern-ish' XTR and SIDs on most of his bikes.

The KK was the second of three tribute builds to Pip that I did; built as I believe he would have appreciated - the best performing parts within a retro-ethos?! :)

Cheers

Back