Bored - need a new hobby.

chris667":1lfwsyyr said:
I have also knocked my Retrobike addiction on the head. Perversely, I enjoy them more now than I did when I was looking on the forums all the time.

Get a canoe. Canoes are magic, and although you could collect them, it's not necessary. The running costs are £35/year to become a British Canoe Union member, and that's it really.

Here's mine going through the ice last winter.

408804_10150463081766750_1715201548_n.jpg

I think I hear the sound of a nail being hit on the head...

chris667":1j1s3r6k said:
I have also knocked my Retrobike addiction on the head. Perversely, I enjoy them more now than I did when I was looking on the forums all the time.

Get a canoe. Canoes are magic, and although you could collect them, it's not necessary. The running costs are £35/year to become a British Canoe Union member, and that's it really.

That looks like a nice crisp, sunny, winter morning. The feeling of being on the water is calming and you see things from a different perspective from being on foot or on a bike.
Oh, if you move to Scotland you won't even need the BCU membership. :cool: As you'll know, we've plenty water up here. In fact it's getting topped up at the moment. :roll:

If there's any interest, have look here,
http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/forum/content.php

chris667":3dye4hdw said:

where does the bike rack go?

cyfa2809":3qydi5ml said:
Why do you need a BCU membership?

In Englandshire it's not as simple as just putting your boat on the water and paddling away like we do in Scotland due to our freedom of access law.

Many/most of the rivers and waterways in England are classed as private so a permit/licence is required to access the water. Think a BCU membership is part of this system.
Imagine it being illegal to use a resource such as moving water. :shock: I can understand owning the riverbanks but moving water, how can you own something that does not remain on your "property".
It's like claiming you "own" the wind.

I thought it would be something like that but at the same time rejected the idea as its madness!

it also means the license can be revoked if anyone behaves like a pratt and starts ripping up and down the river in a powerboat ;)

Do you live near the coast?

My friend built a Hawaiian style sea canoe with an outrigger from some plans he found on the intrnet. He used to paddle along the coast and go spear fishing, then we'd cook and eat what he caught on the beach.

I say used to, because he'd leave the canoe on the beach and all was well for about 3 years until someone stole it.

Back