1930's tandem,
nice 1960's Dutch 12 string guitar,
couple of transcription turntables and Armstrong valve amp,
pair of mad Sonab speakers
DX7 keyboard,
Mesa Boogie 15 inch speaker cab,
Shaker chair and various other antique furniture,,
top of the range flat screen telly,
bikes..... 100's including the Specialized the other day, various old sports-racer stuff some of which are pretty sort after, delivery bikes, several Moultons, Grifters, Bombers, Choppers of various Mk's , early BMX's, many 3-4 speed sit up and begs, tandems, unicycles and oddities...
Almost new Bosch washing machine with a 6 quid fault,
Bosch dishwasher,
Custom built Marshal 4x12 bass cab that belonged to a certain ugly bass player..
BMC EA delivery van that I lived in for about 5 years..
various quality cameras, medium format stuff and 35mm OMs and Pentaxs etc that we are still using for wedding photography and have netted us £1000's over the years
more good quality hi-fi than I can remember
ancient Persian carpet from a skip outside a posh old house,
nearly all the shrubs and trees in the garden have been rescued from other peoples gardens,
4 sheds of varying types and dimensions [ to keep my treasure in :) ] ,
nearly all our furniture was picked up for nothing [ and we ain't tramps neither ]
we heated the house this winter on free firewood,
found an FM hub the other day,
various 19th Century stabbing and hacking weaponry,
an early 20th c dog scaring pistol and cartridges [ scared my dog ] and a sh*t load of other stuff....

But the thing is , you cannot take it with you [ yeah.. my wife inherited about £10k's worth of reggae vinyl and a house 8 years ago ] , so just make sure you don't just hoard it in a cave somewhere
:LOL:

I stopped a mate chucking out a guitar tonight, he is now going to Freecycle it.... spread the word ...

Most of the stuff I have listed has been passed on, some sold, other stuff given away or used until it was knackered. I had at one point in excess of 100 old bikes, it got silly. The hifi kit gets shared out, my dad has the Sonabs and some quality amp so he is happy :)

The Specialized will, I think, end up in my brothers sweaty hands as he is pretty desperate for one to replace the one he broke, he has my old C16 frame to swap with so lucky bro...

but how do you persuade the tip men to let you have this stuff? when i ve been they say your not aloud to take stuff form the big skips :? and they have sectioned bits for bikes/tv/furniture which they must fish out from the bigs skips

The tips differ in attitude and rules.. The rules are usually "nothing gets sold or given away" however ... as I say , attitudes .. sometimes you see people lean bikes against the skips rather than chuck em in, guilt I think and it is saying please take this bike.. honestly you could just ride off on them sometimes :shock: :LOL:

I have struck up a chatty relationship with the blokes at the one I visit occasionally but you have to have the right personality to blag stuff I think, I have some traveller ancestors so that would explain my ability and cheek to get free stuff :LOL:

If you don't feel too comfortable about blagging then just check out the local tat shops and pawn brokers and accept you will have to spend a few quid for your hoard. Don't forget that the tat shop man is not an expert in everything and is happy to let stuff go that looks a bit scruffy for pennies quite often, I got a Lenco record deck for a fiver recently from the local house clearance shop, the man was more than happy and so was I.
He sold a load of 1970's hifi for a few quid to a bloke I sent round, the shop guy was glad he didn't have to skip it and someone got some treasure and a big grin.

Join Freecycle, most areas have them and they are great for receiving sundry treasures beyond your wildest imaginings. You should also be prepared to give stuff away or put it on fleabay at low start prices to share the luck.

Parallel lives - my house is furnished ala skip, this PC I'm replying with was built from tip find stuff. Its scary what is chucked out.

my hifi is skip sourced

even my car radio is sourced from a car boot sale with a skip found amp and sub...

Keep at it is all I say, I have my Grandmother to thank. She brought me up in Brighton with carboot sales and skip finds and all sorts.

As you were... ;)

coupla weeks ago:

Attachments

• Roberts DAB.jpg
    Roberts DAB.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 855
Back