Bodges - Any Good Ones ?

velomaniac

MacRetro Rider
Maybe I have no respect for my own health but when I cant find the right bit for a build I bodge something up. Do not worry, I'd never sell anything with a bodge without telling anyone about it ;)

Anyone got good bodges to problems ?

One I have done several times to good effect is because I am tall and it concerns steerers for forks with clamp on fork crowns. I have a big frame with a tall head tube but no long steerers, what do I do ?

For Marzocchi crowns the clamp is 30 mm ID. The steerer is 28.6mm OD.

I get a steel tube of 28.6mm OD, 25.4mm ID or an aluminium tube with a 28.6mm OD and 22.2mm ID and a metal seatpost shim for a 27.2-28.6 conversion. Force the shim onto the 28.6mm post and at one end you will have a 30mm OD. Clamp it into fork crown and put the crown race in place which is also 30mm ID.

Bobs your Uncle, you can create a unthreaded steerer any length you want from easily available materials.

An engineering type will now tell me thats unsafe as steerers are made from special reinforced steel that is like unobtainium. Well I have examined the steel or aluminium tube I have used and compared it against the genuine steerers and frankly I can see no difference. Further I have ridden the bikes with this bodge quite aggressively at trail centres without a failure. However I might have been lucky :LOL:

So any Bodges that have kept your old steeds on the trails when the right bit was unobtainable :D

I can't find any photos but I made a mech hanger for my Voodoo Canzo. The original broke and the replacements just seemed too weak, so I made one that lasted until the bike was disposed of.
My son had been using it when it nearly hit the tip early. The swinging arm part of the rear suspension snapped in half. It was aluminium but I made a replacement in steel. Gone was the flexy rear end. Now it steered where you pointed it. Such an improvement and it out lasted the rest of the bike.
Why buy one when you can make one yourself? :D

Re:

I repaired 96 kilauea derailleur hanger by removing threaded nut from qr hub and filed both nut and dropout until there was enough room cassette to rotate without fouling nut, i then screwed derailleur to filed nut. Frame rescued until rear stay sheared at the weld.

Not a bike bodge but a recent tool bodge. A 30.9 Kalloy post fits tightly on the end of an Ice Tools spanner and is my new bottom bracket removal tool.

My standard bodge is to make an 11-36 8 or 7 speed cassette by buying a 9 speed alivio 12-36 and an 8 speed 11-30, separating the cogs and re-assembling the cogs I want. Perfect indexing with 7/8 speed thumbies and causes raised eyebrows at the LBS, where it's considered heresy to mix and match different speed groupsets, let along break and re-assemble cassettes.

Re:

I wanted a long-cage M-900 rear mech for my Brodie project, but couldn't find one. So, I went into the bike parts re-cycle shop, bought an old/used/broken M-952 mech (missing some parts) for two bucks, took it apart and pilfered the pivot bolt (same configuration as the M-900 one) and inner cage-plate; and then hand-fabricated a new outer cage-plate out of some raw sheet aluminum material I had purchased at the local metal scrapper ... ending up making a long-cage plate (to match/mate with the M-952 inner one) that looks as well as functions as though it were factory made - all using a drill, hack-saw, files, and emery cloth!

:xmas-cool:

Got tired of the wheel hop when I applied the rear brake on my THS-1 so I bodged together a full floating brake.

attachment.php

:cool: Awesome but...

I'm pretty sure that's beyond the realm of bodge, maybe if the arm was a broom handle ;-)

Re:

No cable crimps left? Knock the shaft out of a pop rivet & you're left with a fully functioning mushroom shaped alternative.

Back