Bob Jackson to close after all

Re: Bob Jackson possibly closing down? I hope not...

I personally think they should fade into cycling folklore or history.
If everyone currently associated with it is retiring without handing over to someone else who knows and has trained there then it should go with them.
This is where you then get someone in two or three years 'reviving' a brand to really sell us frames at most likely three times the price Donald would sell you one now. With no connection, history or similar quality, only buying a name for profit.
Just my opinion, others will likely disagree.

Jamie

Jamiedyer":193ee5m6 said:
If everyone currently associated with it is retiring without handing over to someone else who knows and has trained there then it should go with them.
This is where you then get someone in two or three years 'reviving' a brand to really sell us frames at most likely three times the price Donald would sell you one now. With no connection, history or similar quality, only buying a name for profit.

Jamie

Planet X will be rubbing their hands!

brocklanders023":10x4w23e said:
Jamiedyer":10x4w23e said:

Jamie

Planet X will be rubbing their hands!

That was who I thought of whilst reading this. They will definitely be my favourite to try to buy the names if possible.

Re:

Thanks for the information regarding the Bob Jackson shop closing. Being from the other side of the pond, I rarely (and I mean rarely!) see one; on the streets or for sale. I'm sure they will be even more obscure here now with the closing; people will be trying to buy them up before value starts increasing more due to the lack of new product. Seems that the "death" of something always has a silver lining somewhere. Interesting that when my bike co-op said they were closing the entire cycling community in my area came to help out with clearing the place out of inventory only to find out that half the stuff wasn't for sale or the staff didn't know what prices to let things go at. In the end, the small boost of "last minute" sales and interest amongst the regulars and "fly-by-nighters" caused a reversal of decision, and the shop did not close (it's been over a year). I can't imagine how they manage to operate now since they cutback on work, and those with memberships have to set-up an appointment to get in and use the facility and tools like before. I have only managed to get by one time in the last 7-8 months; before I was there weekly and often daily. I did manage to run away with a Rossin "SL" frame before they realized what I bought for a steal at $100. Apparently the young staff is not familiar with vintage older bikes "pre-threadless' stems and the like, and they certainly are not as adept at working on older frames/bikes from the era that I live in.

Yes, I agree with the stoppage of use of the marque's name from other builders; although I cannot blame those who established the brand wanting to gain some last revenue out of it. I know I would not "lend/sell" my business name to another without an absolute guarantee that the same level of quality and service be maintained by the new "custodian" of the marque; which is a near impossibility when dealing with something like this. That happened to me with my old business when I left it to my "partner"; a business I ran by myself for over 6 years. It folded within 4 months after the staff of 3 couldn't provide the same level of quality, pricing (had to charge a lot more to pay that staff), and customer satisfaction. Even years later people who see me out and about ask if I am still doing that work, or plan to to open another shop; all the awhile expressing their grave disappointment at what my old business turned into: "a bunch of greedy sales staff" who didn't know their butt from their elbow!

Good luck to the folks at Jackson's, hope they all fare well in the future!

Re:

the flip side is that when one retires, one hopes to have a nest egg or pension for the rest of ones days. The property and tooling have obvious value, but its also important to add-in intangible assets such as intellectual property, brand and goodwill.
The romantics in us want the name to fade into obscurity with no value attached, but we have to be practical and remember that running a bike shop wont have made them millionaires, so if they do sell the brand, theres a side of me that says good luck to them, you've worked for it

If the name/brand/rights are owned by the family, then Donald & Co may have no say in what happens to it now.

Re:

Oh no... it's the.. 'End of the Clones'..!!

Attachments

• rps20201024_103638.jpg
    rps20201024_103638.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 987

Yep, been announced on a few sites. Double edged sword for me. Glad they are still going to be around but going might have made my Bob Jackson worth more for rarity value lol

Back