Bob and Harry

Thanks, I'm going to post a list of the stuff I've had over the last year or so. Maybe you can add all that lovely stuff you have had. Will start a new thread in General MTB.
Cheers

longbeech":3j350qpb said:
Thanks, I'm going to post a list of the stuff I've had over the last year or so. Maybe you can add all that lovely stuff you have had. Will start a new thread in General MTB.
Cheers

Ok, this thread and the cracking tip-found bikes posted by the Big Cheese have got me spitting feathers.

How the sh*t do you guys find / retrieve bikes like this?

I've had a couple of post-festivity visits to the local tip and I was heartbroken to watch a guy throwing away a set of new-looking wheels fitted with the exact set of QR skewers I'd been looking for. But then all the stuff goes into a giant skip jealously guarded by men in donkey-jackets. If I'd been allowed to walk away with a Bob Jackson frame it would have been like all my birthdays and Christmases had come at once.

talk to the donkey jackets like they're 'uman beans and tell them why and what - you'd be surprised how far that gets you.

if the seatpion size is 27.2, youve got a good un. Probably reynolds 531/753 or columbus SL.

If the seatpin is around 26.4 then youve probably got cheapo columbus (aelle or similar), plain gauge reynolds or falk. The first 2 are still quite good, just a bit heavier. Falc was quite nasty - altho serviceable and the basis for a good commuter, I think it was seamed tubing. Look in the BB and see if you can see seams on the downtube or seat tube.

my mate bought a 753 harry quinn in the late 70's and has only recently chucked it cos it broke. Raced as a first cat on it throughout the 80's. Rated it far higher than his carbon giant and was sorry to see it go.

Thanks for that pigman, I will get the verniers out.
Bob is going back to Leeds next week for a makeover and will get built up, probably with a mix of 105 and Ultegra (cos thats what I have most of)and used on the road.
Bob Jacksons have confirmed that the frame is from around 1988 but they have lost the job sheet for the frame.
Will post some pics when it gets back.

Wanted: Some 105 or ultegra Sti's.

Cheers

Back