• Mint Viscounts

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • Jammie dodgers

Votes: 5 12.8%

• Total voters
Re:

£2.66. A king’s ransom. :shock:

These were Christmas only.

My mother would buy large plain cardboard boxes of broken biscuits from the factory. You never knew what the mix would be but there was always enough treasure.

Attachments

• 58E8898E-BB65-454C-8DE0-893632443BD6.jpeg
    58E8898E-BB65-454C-8DE0-893632443BD6.jpeg
    35.7 KB · Views: 728
Re:

Just to stir the cake/biscuit debate a bit more, I bring you the Retro Tosset Cake.

A biscuit masquerading as a cake. It looks as if they were just as confused about the whole issue 700 years ago as well!

Re: Re:

Johnboy":s85jqbnl said:
Just to stir the cake/biscuit debate a bit more, I bring you the Retro Tosset Cake.

A biscuit masquerading as a cake. It looks as if they were just as confused about the whole issue 700 years ago as well!

A recipe masquerading as traditional. Cane sugar wasn't about then, so likely honey, which begs what other ingredients have been changed :shock:

Possibly even a shortbread, masquerading as a cake, masquerading as a biscuit :?

Re:

dyna-ti":3dvysr46 said:
Johnboy":3dvysr46 said:

A recipe masquerading as traditional. Cane sugar wasn't about then, so likely honey, which begs what other ingredients have been changed :shock:

Possibly even a shortbread, masquerading as a cake, masquerading as a biscuit :?

I can't claim to be an expert but Wikipedia suggests all the ingredients would have been available, although sugar would have been a very luxurious, rare and expensive ingredient http://www.sucrose.com/lhist.html. Also it was supposedly baked only for the feast day of St Oswald and regarded as a 'prized treat'.

That aside, I am not getting involved in the history or definition of shortbread with a Scotsman!! :LOL: :LOL:

Re: Re:

The History Man":2bq9hfbj said:
£2.66. A king’s ransom. :shock:

These were Christmas only.

My mother would buy large plain cardboard boxes of broken biscuits from the factory. You never knew what the mix would be but there was always enough treasure.

I still do. From Range stores

Back