bikes for kids

Ridgeback Melody was my daughters first non stabalisers bike and it was great. Looks like a proper dinky MTB with 16" wheels and well put together alloy frame made it light and very easy to handle so inspired her confidence so much so that after an hour of it running round sans pedals as a balance bike she was up and away. It lasted a good couple of years before she grew out of it and sold on here to a fellow RBer.
Can be found on ebay etc for about £50-60 so a bargain compared to the heavy steel Halfords options if you're not looking to spend a great deal.

Something the are proud of it may spark the 'cycling bug' in them :)

And not too heavy, I went out on a charity ride yesterday with about 20 kids, some of the bikes they rode were HEAVY and I mean HEAVY :shock:

When my kids were a little older that this, I built a bike for them out of bits from other bikes I had stripped, made them out of small aluminium frames, let them choose the colours of bits and they love them :p

Boys version of the Melody is the MX16. My lad had the MX14 before his current. They are a nice little bike and light too.

If you can find one of the little Raleighs with the Airlite frame - Burner I think - they are very light - lighter than the equivalent Hotrock etc.

Back