Bike build: Converting to a 10 speed

Nope the middle ring is fine

Those are the low end pressed steel rings

If you look the pressed bulge in the ring leads the chain up to that split tooth when shifting up

It's the same about 3 or 4 times around the ring

That's how they achieve fab shifting on the cheap pressed steel rings.

Peachys crop is a little misleading as it shown the previous split tooth and the next bulge.

It's what makes Shimano great
I did wonder if this was the case, but was unsure. I’m only used to building road bikes with new groupos 🤷🏽‍♂️

Thanks for your help.

Thanks for this. We’re all good on the knee pain, she’s had a professional fit on her roadie, so all measurements are being based on that, but more relaxed up front.
Wow I, professional fit. I can’t get that, unless I drive 4 - 6 hours one way. My son had that done in NYC, (20 hours one way and $200.00 in tolls on roads that are under construction). Up here on Lake Superior we only have patchy and sketchy cell service. I can’t seem to tell, 52, 54 or 56, these bikes all work the same so I can’t tell the difference. But, then again, to me, a $4.00 bottle of wine tastes the same as a $30.00 bottle. My wife is convinced I have the tast buds of a 100 year old alcoholic cigar smoker. Too many hot peppers. This doesn’t account for my indifference to road bike sizing. She says I have a low give a damn factor, she calls me either Mr. indifference or Mr. Everything is a triviality. My mottos are good enough perfect and don’t care, never did, never will. Heck I don’t even take my own advice, so neither should you.

Go easy for this built: Altus onwards works fine. 7x3 is enought even for beginners. a 28-11 casette is perfect match for a 22-32-42 front 3 chainrings. Little money on this you will need.

Brakes ... some V´s works much better than cantilevers. A normal shimano M600 is good enough and they are cheap because all people goes for the XT 739 and it is the same but without the paralelogram. Second hand set and some fresh cool stop pads. Don´t go for chinese cheap stuff, they are horrible to adjust and perform poor. (I did, bad idea)

Just a quick Q... in terms of keeping this a low-cost build, have you thought about buying a complete good condition, cheap, suitable retro-bike or are you wanting to involve a custom-build/tinker? Reason I ask is that building bikes from scratch or changing bits about can get expensive, often on marketplace etc you'll see suitable bikes for £40-80 I'd say - I should know as i've bought/sold a few lol ;)

At worst I had 27 bikes in my fleet, yes 27... every single one custom built from the ground up. Around 20 of these were retro mtb/bmx/road, the rest modern road, gravel, mtb. At the time I was clearly a man who liked spending on bikes and rather addicted haha!

Just a quick Q... in terms of keeping this a low-cost build, have you thought about buying a complete good condition, cheap, suitable retro-bike or are you wanting to involve a custom-build/tinker? Reason I ask is that building bikes from scratch or changing bits about can get expensive, often on marketplace etc you'll see suitable bikes for £40-80 I'd say - I should know as i've bought/sold a few lol ;)

At worst I had 27 bikes in my fleet, yes 27... every single one custom built from the ground up. Around 20 of these were retro mtb/bmx/road, the rest modern road, gravel, mtb. At the time I was clearly a man who liked spending on bikes and rather addicted haha!

I like to tinker, and want to customise a bit. I’m trying to find a good middle ground between it looking the nuts, and not desirable to steal… pretty tough, but after cleaning up a bit there’s less that ‘needs’ doing. New shifters being the only main thing, but will sort a new cassette, chain just to get it all running well… the misses also saw some tan billy bonkers wheels she loves, but I’m pushing back on those!

I like to tinker, and want to customise a bit. I’m trying to find a good middle ground between it looking the nuts, and not desirable to steal… pretty tough, but after cleaning up a bit there’s less that ‘needs’ doing. New shifters being the only main thing, but will sort a new cassette, chain just to get it all running well… the misses also saw some tan billy bonkers wheels she loves, but I’m pushing back on those!
Regards the shifters (sorry if you've already said) are they Shimano triggers that are not engaging properly? Generally I find Shimano ones pretty darn reliable, if they are not engaging or only higher 4 gears shifting then it's probably sticky pawls in the shifter which can be sorted with a blast of carb/brake cleaner or if you want to do it proper way, remove the covers and physically work the pawls with a small pick and aim the cleaner directly at them - be carefull not to pry them back too far as they are spring loaded and it can damage the spring.

Number of 8 speed Shimano freehubs (the black hubs with red '8' printed on them) and shifters i've seen gummed up come through the workshop - the grease of that era basically turns to wax over time.

Back