Bianchi Aluminium Mega Pro XL 1998 differences ?[Pantani]

loepzuiver2023

Retro Newbie
I'm a bit confused about the differences in the Bianchi Mega Pro 1998 (Pantani Mercato Uno edition).
There is the
  • Mega Pro XL Triple Butted Boron Steel
    Mega Pro XL SC61.10A
    Mega Pro XL Dedacciai 7000
    Mega Pro XL Dedacciai 7005

frames.jpg

Are there specifics on how you can recognize this besides the obvious sticker? Just to check in case there is no sticker, or an replica decal sticker.

And bonus question. I found this one bike with a Tour de France sticker, not sture if this was ever in production or made by a fan.
tourdecal.jpg

I've been always intrigued on the same ! There are the so called evo's, xl's... Also interested if anyone can bring light into this ;) Thanks for asking

Pantani's was the 7000 series aluminium double butted. Maybe you can tell by the tubing profile? Some had bulging mid down tubes, the steel boron ones didn't and had skinny seat stays.

Rider 046 in 1998 TDF was Francisco Javier Mauleón, who rode for ONCE team on Giant TCR bikes, so not him or his race number.

Last edited:
I found the following [source] ;

Differences between Mega Pro series models – Mega Pro L and Mega Pro XL​

Basically they use a different alloy, SC6110a for the XL and 7005 for the PRO and L, different shape of the tubes especially in the rear area, which in the XL has rectangular chainstays and much wavier than those of the L and Pro ( practically straight). The L has subtle reinforcements in the steering area, the XL has more pronounced reinforcements. The XL does not have a braze-on derailleur mount. Less obvious difference, the weight.

XL means super light, extralite. XL boron is steel, XL Ti is titanium, XL (performance) is aluminum. There is also a carbon XL but later. Then there are EV (Evolution of XL) EV boron in steel and EV2 – 3 – 4 in aluminium.

Barely speaking, a standard 7005 Mega Pro series weighs almost 1900g naked, the same XL frame just over 1200. An Ev4 about 1150 (as much as a FC/FG practically).

The models used by RC Mercatone Uno – Bianchi​

The bike used by the Reparto Corse in 98 and 99 was in 7003-T6 aluminium, the closest production model is the 99 Mega Pro XL obviously in aluminum (Dedacciai sc61.10a ) .
In 99 also the SC used the same alloy, however also using the yellow “7000” decals bike in addition to the blue sc61.10a decals.

thanks @loepzuiver2023 and @otherself , that is a very good source!
It seems then the most desirable is the ProXL with SC61, but the key here is the XL, with rectangular chain stays and without braze on FD.

So no much difference between 7005 and SC61 aluminium versions ? I understood 7000 was not used for the XL (I've read the source several times but was not clear to me yet!)

I've tried to make a start to an infographic about this bike. Only to get a bit stuck on which detail belongs to which frame (Pro, Pro L or Pro XL) because all reference pictures are replica's with different elements and also frame sizes.

If anyone has some good suggestions, glad to hear it. Also, if someone finds a photo of the Titanium sticker (now red placeholder) please reply here.

Attachments

• Bianchi_MegaPro_Infographic_A4.jpg
    Bianchi_MegaPro_Infographic_A4.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 22
Bianchi cashed in with a number of limited edition Pantani 'replicas'. I've seen one for his Giro win with a very similar decal. I'd suspect the '046' is the edition number.

Back