Best way to restore a nickle p7

Re:

Im stripping the clear coat with "Dial" paint and varnish stripper from B&Q. This i bought to strip paing from an old Kona frame but it wouldnt touch the paint. also tried it on a painted gloss door in the house but it wouldnt touch that either :evil: its been stuck in the shed for a couple of years. So, not expecting much i thought id give it a go and to my amazement it works great removing the P7 clear coat.
Just apply to the frame with a paintbrush (it has a thick consistency so clings to the metalwork) leave for 1 hour paint another coat over the original, leave about 5 minutes then wash off with hot water and washing up liquid. Dry off the frame and polish with autosol then seal with a good car wax. there might be small patches of clear coat remaining... so repeat if required. you can speed up the process by rubbing the paint stripper with fine wire wool but it really isnt necessary.
You're lucky in not having rust ... :LOL:

edit: got my decals from here..

https://www.dnfive.co.uk/Orange-P7-Decal-Set/341.htm

Gone for a slightly custom look with black lettering and orange... err oranges :LOL:

Re:

Thanks enc that sounds good..that build by Ishay is amazing...

By clear coat do you mean the nickle finish? So we just end up with a polished chrome look? I think that's going to be my best option without getting into a lot of expense..thanks again

Re: Re:

Richardcs":204bdqqe said:
Thanks enc that sounds good..that build by Ishay is amazing...

By clear coat do you mean the nickel finish? So we just end up with a polished chrome look? I think that's going to be my best option without getting into a lot of expense..thanks again

"clear coat" is the lacquer applied to the frame to protect the chrome/nickel plated finish. manufacturers also apply it to aluminum and painted frames.
Clearcoat can break down with age or through poor maintenance. You may have seen it on car panels where blisters appear revealing the original often dull looking paint underneath.
With my own P7 frame, the clear coat had chipped, "crazed" and dulled/yellowed practically over the entire frame, allowing spots of rust to form.... not an attractive look.

You can remove the clearcoat by the method i explained above. this will not harm the chrome/nickel plate. you van either re-apply clear coat or seal the frame with a good polish/wax.

pretty eh :facepalm:

fxDKdN0.jpg

y8VcOwd.jpg

Richardcs":24fd68x2 said:
Is this the stuff you used?

Yes that's the stuff. pretty useless as a paint stripper but works stripping the P7 clear coat. possibly because its so damaged.... it wouldnt touch the paint on my cinder cone. Not sure why i even kept it :LOL:

Ah your frame looked exactly as mine does, so fingers crossed i can save it!

Thanks for the advice....looks liek Im off to join the queue at B and Q after!!

Gives me a bank holiday activity at least!

cheers

Re:

Amazing results mate! Just did a test on a stay.. How easy is that! Just wipes off!!! Not even given it a polish or anything yet! Cheers!!

Attachments

• 20200523_122806.jpg
    20200523_122806.jpg
    821.2 KB · Views: 129
Re:

I have found places that will nickel chrome bicycle parts only ( Chopper, classics ) but not entire frames. Anybody know a place that will do a whole steel frame and forks ?

Back