Best value current disc brakes?

A lot of people sell disc wheels on ebay with the discs still attached,if you intend to get your wheels that way,then the hfx 9's seem the cheapest option.

However-

Hope brakes will never let you down and there's tons of spares available,
You WILL get a pair of C2's with the nicer pro levers from ebay for about £75 .

Plus points-
Look good/they work bloody well/and they work bloody well.

Negative points-
Don't know any,I've never once had a problem with mine.

They also seemed to have bottomed out on the £60-£80 for a bikes worth ,so if you do sell them on,you should get near enough what you paid for them.

Hi,
I've got Formula Oro Puras on my kona, they're great. Really powerful, nice feel, easy to work on and handle heat well (I've had steam coming off my rotors after a stream crossing at the bottom of a descent !)

They do them in various guises, the K24 being the one that I see the most of. All of the Oros are basically the same brake, tarting at K18 then K24, Puro and then Bianco. they just get lighter and in the case of the Bianco, polished.

The nice thing is that the Puro and Bianco have been discontinued and replaced with the R1, but they're still out there at bargain prices and the distributor (propel I think) carry all spares and are really helpful.

I got my Puros for £200 for a full set including a pair of 160mm rotors and the necessary adapters.

Cheers........ Matt

Thanks for the info everyone. I'm going to dig deeper down the Shimano road to start with. Then do some price comparisons and go with the best deal. The Deore ones seem cheap from CRC, do they differ much from the LX. Also i'm sure I read bad things about there 'dual control'. Any truth to this?

I am surprised nobody mentioned BB7 .

easy to set up and maintain and work really well .

Just to add another comment, My mate has just replaced the rear brake on the giant that went at the Forest of Dean with the cheap £36 hayes one from chain he said that it is pretty wooden on/off and has no adjustment whats so ever but for the money no complaints :?

Shimano SLX are probably the best brake for the money at the moment - as you get so many adjustment options.

Ingenious bleeding system aswell.

Thats another Shimano bonus,the mineral oil isn't as enviromentally unsound and as bad for your paintwork as DOT fluid :D
Duel control works well but its a love it or hate it thing.The actual innards are just like rapidfires.

you can pick up a set of used hope 6 pot brakes for just under £200 on ebay .

best brakes ever imho :D

I'm interested in the Quad QHD-4 brakes. Outstanding right up on Bikeradar and very reasonable money. Only hitch is having looked on the net I can't find a stockist. Anyone know where I can get some?

Back