Best idea of Each decade of MTB in UK

velomaniac

MacRetro Rider
What feature of mountainbiking from each decade Eighties Nineties Noughties was in your opinion the best single idea of that decade.

For me:
Eighties - Geometry, Bikes went from slack angled DH to perfect angled all rounders in that decade.

Nineties - Suspension, Bikes went from nowt, through very basic to latterly all singing all dancing in this decade.

Noughties - Materials, the default setting for virtually all bikes bar the worst BSO is Aluminium alloy frames, carbon fibre has become common, Titanium is more common and great advances in steel and other composites.

So guys whats your big 3 for the last 3 decades of MTB in the UK ;)

Eighties - Geometry, the frame evolved into the mountain bikes we have today.

Nineties - Suspension, bouncy bouncy.

Noughties - Disc brakes, you can stop in all conditions and not have the rim ground down.

Teenies - Drop in cost of carbon fibre goodness so it becomes affordable by the masses.

80's - The explosion of MTB into the mainstream, took over from BMX as the bike to have!

90's - Flite Ti Saddle, First true lightweight classy saddle

00's - Sram giving Shimano serious competition!

Worst thing of each decade.....

80's - I still had a BMX :LOL:

90's - the move away from a bike that could do everything, to discipline specific bikes (i.e. downhill only or trials)

00's - the obsession with stuff being painted matt black... bars, stems, seatposts, dérailleurs etc the bling disappeared! :cry:

velomaniac":2l6bs675 said:
So guys whats your big 3 for the last 3 decades of MTB in the UK ;)

Just curious as to why you've made this question UK specific when the UK probably didn't have that much influence on any of the best ideas you mention :?: :?:

80's hite rite
90's urt (yes I know they are crap and everyone hated them) I loved the look on my y22
00 hydroforming whatever that is I like the way they can manipulate a tube just by using pressurised water

Just curious as to why you've made this question UK specific when the UK probably didn't have that much influence on any of the best ideas you mention

Sorry, keep forgetting we're multinational. What i meant was what were the big three in relation to your experience dependent on your geographical location. Its your opinions I seek not what the industry or some tech guru states ;)

80's = Gears that worked in mud

90's = Suspension and disks that worked everywhere

00's = Apart from wireless computers and GPS, I cant think of anything "revolutionary"

To say that a move from a Do-It-All bike to specific duty bikes is a bad thing is wrong, I think....
Jack of All Trades, Master of None ?

We all know, that there is no bad thing with having "1 more bike for doing XXX" :cool:

G

Back