Beryl Burton's 1962 Bike Badge

Mine had a white head tube. I think this was the 'standard' Viking colour scheme at the time. Their Independent category team riders rode red and white bikes.
View attachment 836955
West Cheshire TTCA 30 in May '66. Good grief -58 years ago!!
Thanks for the comments on this photo. I can't take any credit for it - especially as the night before I had been enjoying some liquid refreshment in Chester with my clubmate Ray (4 pints of Mackeson/Cider Black Velvet) and didn't get home till rather late and had to get up early to ride the 15+ miles out to the start. The rest of the day is rather hazy....................................

I wonder if the Raleigh road bike is the one she rode the Grand Prix de Nations TT course on? She amazed the local French officials by being a lot faster than they expected a mere female to go and (I think) weren't really ready for her at the finish line.

BTW, I had one of those Viking red and white track frames in the late 60's. I rode it in TT's and on the track.

I may see Denise in a few weeks and (if I remember!) can ask her about the bike. My opinion is that it may be a Carlton?
Reckon you could be right Ned ..🤔

ZomboDroid_08042024090016.jpg

Could it be Ellis Briggs?

Classic Lightweights listing has Beryl as an Ellis Briggs rider

Attachments

• IMG_9380.png
    IMG_9380.png
    831.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_9379.png
    IMG_9379.png
    726.4 KB · Views: 15
Yes, the eBay bike is the one we have at Marin Museum of Bicycling. The wheels are different, 24-spoke Airlights with Scheeren rims.

I would like to find a hi-res of that Herne Hill shot to absolutely verify the frame, but yes, the frame and most parts are quite similar.

What do you suppose that black tape(?) on the front tire is? A way to accurately measure distance in a record run? Or just an impromptu repair?

--Joe

Yeah same same but is it the same as the one Beryl's on..🤔
Yes, Ned and you could be on it, a Carlton. And who wouldn't love to ride one of those. I can imagine most of the resolution interpolation except for the bottom, her badge is so rectangular at the base. Maybe Carlton made a slightly different badge shape? Ellis Briggs: I don't see their badge fitting quite as well. Down tube: I hope someone can crack the code.

--Joe

Attachments

• PastedGraphic-133.png
    PastedGraphic-133.png
    227.6 KB · Views: 20
Hi,

I do like a mystery, so I've been having a bit of a look round the interweb, I think I might be able to get you a little closer?. First click on this link to a post here a while back about a map of British bike manufacturers.

On the left hand side (just under Northern Ireland) there are five headbadges shown associated with Liverpool, the centre one of these five (in-between Soens and Quinn) bears a marked resemblance to the one in your photo.

It has a white shape(?) on a red oval(?) on a pale blue background. Unfortunately I cannot zoom in enough to make out the name of the builder, but it might be worth buying the map or asking if anyone here has already purchased it and can provide a better image.

Hope this helps, apologies if I'm wrong and leading you astray.

Matt

......Edit......

There's a slightly better image of the headbadge here......

Last edited:
....A little bit more detail maybe?. this ebay link has a better image of the map....

It appears to say 'Soens' I'm guessing not Jim as his headbadge is distinctly different to the one on Beryl's bike, so maybe Eddie?, here's a link to the Classic Rendezvous section on Eddie Soens that sheds some light in the text on the popularity of their track frames......

......and this Classic Lightweights builder page also mentions his track frames......

Matt

Last edited:
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
....A little bit more detail maybe?. this ebay link has a better image of the map....

It appears to say 'Soens' I'm guessing not Jim as his headbadge is distinctly different to the one on Beryl's bike, so maybe Eddie?, here's a link to the Classic Rendezvous section on Eddie Soens that sheds some light in the text on the popularity of their track frames......

......and this Classic Lightweights builder page also mentions his track frames......

Matt
Matt, good history there. My buddy Otis used to ride a Soens track bike, chromed plated, way over here on the west coast of the USA.
The two Soens badges I found look much different, even the Union Jack badge. Maybe there's a third?
--Joe

Attachments

• PastedGraphic-268.png
    PastedGraphic-268.png
    136.6 KB · Views: 1
  • PastedGraphic-267.png
    PastedGraphic-267.png
    90.8 KB · Views: 1
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back