Bent Front Axle

TGR

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Good evening all,

Yet another problem with which i need some help, I hope you are not getting fed up with my problems - because I am getting more frustrated with them than you would believe!!

I am cleaning a Raleigh ProRace - and I had hoped that I was only going to clean it; but, it has a couple of faults - the BB and HS will be replaced and i discovered a broken spoke in the rear wheel. When cleaning the front wheel I thought there was something not right with the axle so when i had it cleaned I removed the axles and other bits with the intention of regreasing etc. When i removed the axle I discovered it was bent - like a banana - it has two bends in it towards the threaded ends.

Not the end of the world (i initially thought) and i checked my spares and found an axle which is of similar size BUT it does not have the groove for the threaded washer (XXXX!! I said). So I then measured the bent one and looked on line for a replacement but I could not find an exact match.

Here are some pics (because people like pics!) -

I PMed Malcolm at the Cycle Clinic (an RB sponsor) and he can supply me with a replacement but i want to check if i have any other options. This is a cheap build (I had hoped to spend £0 but that has not happened!!). The axle length is about 117mm (if i read the ruler right) - when in the hub it has 2 grooved washers and three threads showing at each end.

Can i used the axle without the groove?

Has anyone any pointers to a cheap option?

Do i need to change the bent one - i presume it has been bent for a long time and used as such?

Thanks all,

Richard

p.s. My frustration is growing with this bike but my car has been giving me probs this week too and i am thinking of growing my hair just so i have something to pull out!!! Nightmare City!!!

You don't need the groove man, but some funky music on the radio while you file off the tab on
the two washers will give you some good vibes.

The only doubt is that the cones go far enough inward with your other axle as the threaded parts
seem shorter, and all the thread and pitch match up. Best is to try it with just the cones first.

Woz,

The cones are fine - I checked them earlier today. So no groove and a cheap fix!

Not sure if anyone can tell from the pics, but could the un-grooved axle be Ti?? It seems lighter than the other one.

Richard

Just put a magnet on the other to see if it's Ti - if it does not stick then it's either Ti or Aluminium.

Doesn't look it though from the pictures....a Ti axle would be a bit too good for a cheap replacement ;-)

Thanks,

that is why i asked, but it is the only spare one i have come across.

Richard

The axle length is about 117mm (if i read the ruler right)
Looks like 107mm to me. How on earth you get a bike together while suffering from ruler-dyslexia is a mystery to me, TGR.. :? :)

Torqueless,

**** you are right!!! And i was looking for 117!!!!!!!!!!! Unbeliveable - really unbeliveable!

(hides head in shame!)

Spec savers needs a visit but that is no excuse for being so stupid - I better say thanks for pointing that out.

Richard

The axle can bend if the ends are not parallel. You need the groove to adjust the cones finely. In my day I would have gently tapped the axle straight with the trusty hideface.
Keith

Keith,

Dare i ask what a hideface is?

I will try to source a goovey axle, is there any reason why the spare i have has no groove?

Richard

keithglos":3pooe8nc said:
The axle can bend if the ends are not parallel. You need the groove to adjust the cones finely. In my day I would have gently tapped the axle straight with the trusty hideface.
Keith

:?

Pretty much all the Shimano I've encountered don't have a grove. Two cone spanners are needed, and you can fine
tune simply by either tightening the cone against the outer lock nut or the outer lock nut against the cone.

Back