Benotto tape - from when to when?

My blue Vitus 992 still needs bar tape (and handlebars for that matter lol), the shiny blue Benotto tape might complement the blue anodised tubes on the bike in a nice way... The thin looking bar tape doesn't appear to offer much in terms of padding though, and I dont like handlebars that look skinny so I think I'll opt for something else.

As I have quite small hands, I like the thin Benotto tape just because it doesn't build much thickness on the handlebars.
You are quite right about the lack of padding, there is none. Back then many riders wrapped a layer of cork tape under the shiny stuff to still get the look but with a beefier and softer grip.

I think Benotto tape is great; it stays clean and lasts practically forever, plus of course it's good looking. Lack of padding? Did Merckx and Hinault need padding? :D The only disadvantage I can think of is that it can be a bit slippery in the wet if you're not wearing gloves.

I think by the mid 80s, pros were moving over to the padded Bike Ribbon but some were still using Benotto tape. So it's still period correct, although I think it looks best with non-aero exposed brake cables.

Back