Benotto 3000? Restoration advice

PaulSE

rBotM Winner
Hi
Picked this up at the weekend , seems to be a Benotto 3000 - diamond section chain stays, Campag dropouts etc. 56 top tube. Kit is all Campag, a mix of Super Record and Victory, rear wheel Mavic MA2 on SR hub with 6 speed Sachs Maillard freewheel , front it came with (not shown, please ignore whats on there) was a very tired Rigida rim on a French Pelissier hub. Nice Benotto pantographed Cinelli stem and Cinelli Giro bars. It’s had a ‘functional’ yellow respray at some stage which although it matches my club kit is still pretty horrible. No evident problems otherwise apart from needing new cables and servicing. I’d feared the lovely SR fluted seatpost would be stuck but glory be it came out first try. My guess is that just like my own bikes which in terms of running gear bear little or no relation to how they started life and that it was probably a clubman’s race bike then trainer hence the mix of kit – even had a winter club run compliant 6” mudguard on the back….
Would anyone be able to a) confirm it’s definitely a 3000? B) tell me if its Italian or Mexican build – the cable guides are brazed on top of the BB shell which I think suggests earlier (Italian?) production? C) suggest a best course for restoration on the basis that I don’t have the time the tools or the aptitude to do much more than strip it and rebuild it – if its right I think it deserves at least a decent paintjob and new decals…….I actually only paid £40 for it.
Thanks in advance
benotto1.jpg

Hi Paul, any numbers on the bb shell? Can you see the original colour under the yellow? Benotto written on the seat stays or fork crown.

If memory serves the 3000 had the Benotto cast into the seat stay caps and was proud of the surface, the fork was cut out and panto'd.

Shaun

Yes its stamped Benotto on both the seat stay caps and the fork crown - lost in the pics because of the flash glare, pictures taken outside on an English July afternoon :(
BB lettering difficult to see under the extra layer of paint - I can make out 56 for the frame size but that's about it. Looks to be definitely a 3000 based on the above comments but I'll post a few more detailed pics tomorrow. Thanks for all the responses so far

Re:

£40 bargain Paul! I would give you £50? :) check classic lightweights site. The Benotto on it is the one my friend has. It gives an idea of frame numbers and is Italian. More pictures cool. I'm definitely looking to get a Benotto.

More pics. Any ideas on best course of action for restoration? Should I strip the paint myself before respraying and will should I go powder coat or diy? Grateful for all and any tips. Ball park figure if I just hand it over to a restorer to do the lot?
benotto6.jpg

benotto7.jpg

benotto8.jpg

What was the 1800 that was also around about the same time? I seem to think the 3000 had a ring around the Benotto in the seat stay cap. Or is my memory failing yet again. Curse my 1950's date of birth :)

Shaun

Back