Benotto 3000? Restoration advice

If it was me I would get it someone who knows how to sand blast a frame correctly to remove all the paint & then get it sprayed professionally (NOT POWDER COATED) & they will fit the correct decals & lacquer over them. It looks like an old original 3000 Benetto & if it is they are well worth preserving plus they are worth a bob or two.

Re:

Hope there is chrome under the paint on the forks, Paul and frame too!
Just cant make out the numbers on the bottom bracket. Personally I'm not a fan of media blasting on a frame and prefer to strip by hand with nitromores or similar. You can see what colour it was too.
Restoration and painting can be alot unless you know a good painter.
Argos are supposed to be the best but pricey. Don't know where you are but other companies are around. Brilliant find!

Simon

Midlife":2q8r32u6 said:
What was the 1800 that was also around about the same time? I seem to think the 3000 had a ring around the Benotto in the seat stay cap. Or is my memory failing yet again. Curse my 1950's date of birth :)

Shaun

I think the Campag dropouts and diamond chain stays rule out a 1800.

Thanks for all the advice. I'll report back when I've made some progress with the restoration. Is a car body shop a good place to go for a respray?

Re:

They can be as they have the right equipment and can bake the paint, Paul. If it is a chrome frame be careful stripping it. Hopefully it is and chrome in good condition under the yuk yellow lol.

Simon

Thanks Simon
Yeah i'll definitely go the chemical route I've got a source for pre-ban 'old style' paint stripper that burns your fingers.
I'm in east London /Essex if anyone has a recommendation for painting.
The only acceptable occasion to have your bike sprayed yellow is when you're leading the Tour.

Armourtex only do powder coat, I'd speak to Bob Jackson, similar quality work to Argos but less money. There is a shop in East London with some Benottos that could help with the refurb.

Thanks Rod, yes I've decided on wet painting and was going to contact Bob Jackson and also Colourtech in Dartford where I could drop off and collect. Feels very nice to ride only weighs 19lbs, plan is to hand strip the existing paint and get the repaint done over the winter, I haven't looked yet but if the forks need rechroming I know a place in Southend who are reasonable but i expect that may still be the biggest single expense.

Re:

DO NOT go to ColourTech.

There is nothing wrong with their work, they were Chas Roberts painter and I believe the late Ron Cooper's too, but my frame took over 6 months to get painted and that was with Brian at CR chasing them, and they had another forum members frame for over a year, then sent it back damaged.

Re:

NeilM":2pq67pe8 said:
DO NOT go to ColourTech.

There is nothing wrong with their work, they were Chas Roberts painter and I believe the late Ron Cooper's too, but my frame took over 6 months to get painted and that was with Brian at CR chasing them, and they had another forum members frame for over a year, then sent it back damaged.

I'll second that!

Heard a lot of bad things about them. As the owner of a Bob Jackson, I'd go back to them if I wanted a re-spray on one of my frames. Excellent service. The frameset, built to my spec, arrived only a day later than the 6 weeks they said. Paintwork is lovely!

Mike

Back