BB size/length confirmation needed, Eldridge Grade.

Spudly

Retrobike Rider
PoTM Winner
Kona Fan
Afternoon peeps, im currently fettling up a '94 Eldridge Grade for a daily rider and im in need of a new bb, the one that was in was a mammoth task to get out and actually snapped the ring end on my mates 32mm spanner :shock:

Now ive got a spare un52 which ive chucked in the frame and it just doesnt sit right, the chain drops from middle to granny ring when its in the top cogs at the back and the chainline looks slightly too far out, however, there are no markings on this bb for shell size or axle length and i cba to strip it out again just yet as im quietly sipping the last of my wine from sunday dinner :cool:

I want to order a new bb to save messing about, and herein lies the problem, the old bb which im 100% certain is correct/original, also had no markings on the sticker on the shell, it does however say mm110 machined into the axle, and 68 machined into the outer edge of the driveside cup above where the tool slots in for fitting/removal, it probably seems dumb to you all, but i want to double check before i order the wrong bb, but i need a 68mm shell width, and a 110mm axle length yes?

Oh and if anyone has a sticker set for said year/model bike they wish to part with, let me know as one side of mine has lost all of its stickers :cry:

Thank you in advance, John.

Re:

I was gonna say 113mm, but 110mm maybe right, '94 used compact, right? black and silver LX kit m56....

You may get away with 110-113mm. Tapers kinda shove up over time anyway, making the effective length 111.658mm.. :LOL:

My '94 stinson uses a 110mm too. with LX567 cranks.

Re:

you could measure the bits?
The frame wants a 68mm bottom bracket, the width depends on the
cranks, if you can see 110 on the axle just inboard of the taper
it's a 110. I think my cranks of that year are on a 107.

Its an M563 black arm lx crank set, and yes it says 110 on the axle of the old one Marc, Chris has checked somewhere and come back with 113-118, but if it should be a 110 then that will be way too long wont it?

And im trying to come up with an accurate way of measuring the axle length, ill pull it out tomorrow and see what i can do, only have a tape measure you see haha!

Re:

It say mm110 and that is the axle length enough saimarins are 68 shell.

Though M563 is actually speced to run 107 so that's what I would fit.

That is according to Shimano documents in 1994.

Err next stupid question, English thread im guessing, just looked on crc and it wants me to choose between English and Italian?

Re:

Cheers peeps, ordered a 110 as they dont list a 107 in 68 shell width!

Back