Battaglin Giro, found in a skip

FINNEY1973":2zevwnr6 said:
I wish I had mates who'd clean my bikes for me!!

In fairness it doesn't need a huge amount of work to get it in A1 condition.

Lovely bike indeed. Only thing I would put to you is to level the handlebars off.

I forgot to flat them before taking these photos. I actually put them in this rise for my first ride. I like them up but, I'm new to the road bike thing so it may take a while for them to drift back to level.

Thanks the same.

Re:

Pulled a Dawes Galaxy out of a skip the other day but it does'nt look like that and its too small for me :( Enjoy :)
Mike

Great looking bike and really lucky to find that great bike in a garbage :). Those break calipers looks really great and very rare to find.

If it was pulled out of a dumpster in Vancouver it would mean that it's been stolen! Might be worth doing a token CL ad to see if someone has lost an Italian road bike? Either way, it's an awesome find!

walleater":3f9a872u said:
If it was pulled out of a dumpster in Vancouver it would mean that it's been stolen! Might be worth doing a token CL ad to see if someone has lost an Italian road bike? Either way, it's an awesome find!

No worries there, I didn't tell the whole story. My friend was given the bike by his neighbor, who was given it by a client who was going to dispose of it. If I had any doubts about it, I would have tried to find its owner.

great find, did you get a chance to read up on the history of battaglin or discover any past tour victories or famous riders who rode
them ? when ever bottechia crops up i always wonder about this make.. any one

Re:

The whole story is on wiki;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giovanni_Battaglin

The high point for him was winning the Vuelta-Giro double in 1981 on a custom Pinerello.

Battaglin Cycles was founded in 1982. The early Battaglins look very similar to his winning Pinerello of 1981.

His 1982 Battaglin

His Battaglin ^ has the same Vuelta-Giro decal as my bike but, it's at the top of the seat tube

Note the triple rings;

The Tre Cime was Battaglin's usual racing bike, but customised for the very steep Tre Cime di Lavaredo stage in the 1981 Giro d'Italia.

Re:

On the subject of my bikes year of build; It has a full Campi Victory groupo excepting the Modolo Speedy brakes and mavic SSC derailleurs.
The Victory group was available in 1984 (to builders?) and released to the public in 1985. I think this means the bike is an '84 or '85.

It certainly has an interesting story/mystery behind it. It seems to have been loved thought out its life! and that will continue in my family.

Cheers,
TC

Back