Barn find - Funk Pro comp '91 (?)

That’s lovely. Great work in rescuing that frame!

A question, where did you get the grafton bushes from?
Thank You! I have a really well experienced and equipped 84 years old mechanics friend, who made the bushes for me. Don’t really know exatly how..:)

Beautiful! 😍

I also do like the Michelin Taiga tires, do have them on my own on a nice bike, just for the Funk, in particular with that brutal and oversized fork, I think they are too thin and tender. The look a bit lost in that frame.
I would give it a try with bigger, more wide tires and also with more knobby ones, even if rolling resistance on tarmac isn't as great as with the Taigas.
Expensive but size- and style-wise Terra One might be a good fit.

One more tiny recommendation, I've noticed you have polished the thumb shifter mounts. Also to me this looks much better as with the regular XT thumbies when combined with polished levers.
If you like you could also adopt the adjuster screw to look similar one like at the levers. Those are regular M5, so every adjuster screw from some levers, but also rear derailleurs or road racing down shifter pods do fit.
Here's an example i have done
20230223_225757.jpg

I've used those adjusters, to me they are matching well with the ones from Paul levers.

Last edited:
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Beautiful! 😍

I also do like the Michelin Taiga tires, do have them on my own on a nice bike, just for the Funk, in particular with that brutal and oversized fork, I think they are too thin and tender. The look a bit lost in that frame.
I would give it a try with bigger, more wide tires and also with more knobby ones, even if rolling resistance on tarmac isn't as great as with the Taigas.
Expensive but size- and style-wise Terra One might be a good fit.

One more tiny recommendation, I've noticed you have polished the thumb shifter mounts. Also to me this looks much better as with the regular XT thumbies when combined with polished levers.
If you like you could also adopt the adjuster screw to look similar one like at the levers. Those are regular M5, so every adjuster screw from some levers, but also rear derailleurs or road racing down shifter pods do fit.
Here's an example i have done
View attachment 844598

I've used those adjusters, to me they are matching well with the ones from Paul levers.
Thank you very much for the recommendations regarding both the tires and the thumby adjuster!

Regarding the tires, I was already thinking about another solution, but in the last few years I could not find a pair in suitable condition at a reasonable price. The bike has been under construction for almost 3 years, so I can wait a bit more till I manage to get a perfect matching pair;)

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back