Ball Burnish polishing…

Jimmy oldskool

Breezer Fan
Feedback
View
Morning all,

I’ve just bought another Zaskar frame and it’s in need of a good polish.

Does anyone have any pointers of companies that do ball burnishing so as to replicate the original finish or am left to just good old elbow grease?

Cheers

Jimmy

We have the burnishing drums/ceramic beads here where I work, but to get a frame in one it would have to be quite some size.

Personally I would polish it by hand, just don't make the usual mistake of using course Autosol polish. It's quite abrasive & creates as many swirls & scratches as it removes. If the frame is badly oxidized then use it as a primary polish but Brasso would be my first choice (or a liquid polish without abrasives).

Mine was in as bad condition as they get.
I worked up from about 300 grit to 2500 grit wet and dry (paper and pads, pads worked better). Then I used autosol and finished with mothers aluminium polish……using a polishing mop and compound could improve on that, what when cleaning residue off with a micro fibre, you put back the micro scratches you’ve just removed……so IMHO, no point going to mirror finish cos you’ll never sustain that.

I’ve restored a couple to the same look as a ball burnished finish. Far more time consuming than a simple polish job but can be done without any tools or machines. It’s took me years to perfect the process.

Many people simply polish the frame which isn’t correct. They were never a mirror polish .

My 95 BB could pass as NOS now but I likely spent 40-50 hours doing that one.

Happy to talk you through it mate as it’s not a hard process just time consuming.

I’ve restored a couple to the same look as a ball burnished finish. Far more time consuming than a simple polish job but can be done without any tools or machines. It’s took me years to perfect the process.

Many people simply polish the frame which isn’t correct. They were never a mirror polish .

My 95 BB could pass as NOS now but I likely spent 40-50 hours doing that one.

Happy to talk you through it mate as it’s not a hard process just time consuming.

This is my main issue dude...I don't have 40-50 hrs to put into polishing it...Intrigued to know the process though! 🤔

Have had a number of frames acid dipped for paint removal, then inspect them for cracks, damage etc
then returned to get powder coated, the company that does this is a car wheel refurbish company,
they repair, polish or paint car wheels, so lend well for doing bike frames amongst other stuff.

Enquired on bead, shot, sand, medium blasting whatever term applys along with polishing, for knife blade blanks,
there part of process seems to be blasting soap like balls at the surface, so instead of pitting the surface like medium blasting,
it instead kinda flattens it to smooth.

Back