Backfire Ultralight Adroit...WOW

That thing has a ti BB spindle and if the pedals are correct, they should be very rare ti-spindled Suntour XC Pros.
Also brake posts should be ti as well.

Of course an Adroit can be built way lighter than the UL setup (like this: http://weightweenies.starbike.com/articles.php?ID=68) but in 1991 that setup was about the lightest you could get, at least mass-produced-wise.

Don't know when exactly Grafton etc. parts came out but for example the Dia-Compe 986s are lighter than Grafton Speed Controllers... Grafton levers are way lighter than Dia-Compe SS-5s though.

Archangel":1zz8q3ot said:
Don't know when exactly Grafton etc. parts came out

I believe they came out in 1990. I remember seeing a pair on June 9, 1990 at the Quadna, Minnesota race. I had heard of them before but hadn't seen them, so they were out in early 1990 at least, but possibly earlier.

Don't ask me why I remember that date from memory, but I do. It was my first race on my Attitude and I nearly finished first. My bike was a few days old and had teething problems or else I would have finished first. The guy with the Graftons was trying to catch me and periodically would see a glimpse of me far ahead in the open sections, but couldn't do it. Oh wait, maybe that's why I remember the day so well.

blast from the past for me. there was a brand new adroit with the exact same build as this for sale at 1 of the early plymouth grundig world cup races... same size too

Im guessing Grafton speedtrap/cross must be lighter than Suntours with Ti axles.
Obviously without all the SPD parts..
J

jonrock":10s2qe7w said:
Im guessing Grafton speedtrap/cross must be lighter than Suntours with Ti axles.
Obviously without all the SPD parts..
J

later in date tho. ebay bike looks pretty period correct.

Definitely not a bad price at all. Would have loved it and it would have been a right size as well, but current economical situation didn't allow me to do purchases that big...unfortunately.

Back