Anyone made a free standing punchbag ?

Just one thing to add for greenstiles - 'cos often people have this fecked-up perspective of how to get the best out of using a heavy bag.

It should be heavy that it can take some shots, and not be wildly swinging around, but not too heavy that it doesn't move.

And it's not there just to totally unload on - especially at first, anyways - your hands and wrists need to get used to the trauma.

Using a heavy bag is about there being some movement of the bag, some movement in you, and putting together punches in an effective way. So focus more on timing rather than trying to beat the thing to death. Move with it, but don't let it dominate you.

Your blows should sound a certain way - kinda snappy, not dull thuds.

Make sure you use some decent hand wraps and wrap them correctly, the bones in the hands are more fragile than you think :D

i used to have a hanging bag in an old house with beams.........but i need a free standing one in the flat, yup still got gloves and training mitts....

greenstiles":3btz0m9r said:
i used to have a hanging bag in an old house with beams.........but i need a free standing one in the flat, yup still got gloves and training mitts....
Well if you're handy with metal, you may be able to fashion some kind of freestanding stand - but you'd have to do it well and secure it well for it to be stable.

Also, rubber matting, or something underneath it, because the noise transfers when the stand / bracket is directly connected to a wall / floor / ceiling. A decent bag isn't cheap - but some make them from raw materials.

For inside use, I'd probably recommend one of those freestanding ones, where you add water or sand to the base. Can't say as I've used them, apart from about a minute or two, but this (edit: this looks to be the same and is cheaper) looks reasonable, and good if on a budget.

By the time you've bought enough metal to make something, bought enough of whatever you're going to use as a ballast, bought a decent enough bag, and some matting to go underneath, you may well have spent near that. Problem is, the ones at the cheaper end of the scale, don't always get good reviews, and may be compromised on quality, which tends to meant they may play up with use.

the icheap nflatable ones burst.....i would want a filled bag (rags is usual).........as i said i can get a bag for £13 filled......it's just i might have to take filling out to put a pole and support insidr to stop it sagging on the pole...........perhaps some one in Worcestershire just has a free stanging one they want to selland deliver ;)

greenstiles":uqffbxxw said:
the icheap nflatable ones burst.....i would want a filled bag (rags is usual).........as i said i can get a bag for £13 filled......it's just i might have to take filling out to put a pole and support insidr to stop it sagging on the pole...........perhaps some one in Worcestershire just has a free stanging one they want to selland deliver ;)

Are you talking about hanging a bag from a freestanding stand, or supporting a bag from some sort of freestanding pole / support?

If all you want is something you can slug and hit hard, I think there are some wall mounted padded type affairs you could probably punch the shit outta.

Not really sure what you really want to do / are looking for?

I get that in a flat, options are very limited - both in terms of mounting / supporting something, plus the noise / vibration that gets transferred.

From what you've said, I'd look to get a freestanding stand, that's held in place either by weights / plates, or something you can fill - and hope it keeps it steady enough. With something kinda rubberised / absorbing underneath it to try and not be too much of a noise and vibration nuisance. Then hang a heavy bag rather traditionally from it.

The freestanding stands don't seem to be terribly cheap, and it would also have the overhead in terms of cost, of something as ballast to keep the base in position - but probably the best option. If you can fashion something yourself, you may be able to keep costs down - didn't you used to work with metal, or am I thinking of somebody else?

Cheapest solutions tend to be wall-mounted brackets and a normal heavy bag - or if you're very lucky, something robust, yet with sufficient give, you can mount on a ceiling (ie exposed beams that are pretty solid). Problem is, cheap wall mounts tend not to project very far, so either the bag can't move much, or you can't move around it much, or both. And conducive ceiling situations probably pretty rare.

Does your flat have a balcony?

supporting a bag from some sort of freestanding pole / support......................yeh i though about a wall pad........but i think only 2 walls don't vibrate......i could only find qhite small wall pads too.......i wouldd need at least 2 foot by 2 foot i think........i could be handy with metal, but i have no tools or work bench sadly

greenstiles":1psgokx1 said:
supporting a bag from some sort of freestanding pole / support......................yeh i though about a wall pad........but i think only 2 walls don't vibrate......i could only find qhite small wall pads too.......i wouldd need at least 2 foot by 2 foot i think........i could be handy with metal, but i have no tools or work bench sadly

In that case, probably the only workable solution is either a freestanding slam man type (they're not all crap that burst, you know - but they're not cheap), or a freestanding stand that you'd weight / anchor down. Neither of which are truly budget options.

What about a floor-to-ceiling ball / bag - not the same as hitting a heavy bag, but better than nothing, and probably not that expensive?

as originally mentioned i'm after a free standing bag on the cheap DIY if anyone has made one before and has any experiance or ideas on making one.

''From materials from like homebase or b+q etc...........i don't want to pay over £100 to hit something i couldmake myself if poss.....any ideas ?''

Back