Anyone else get funny looks?

Thanks for all the replies. I can relate to all of these situations. I actually take pride in the fact that the last bike that I bought new was in 1996. I rode that Trek 830 just about everyday and even raced on the EFTA circuit with it. I didn't feel like my riding was limited because I had entry level equipment. It just made me appreciate the upgrades that much more. I learned how to ride, improve my skills, and trained like an animal on a $450 bike back then. It's certainly the reason that I don't feel limited now. I am grateful that I get to ride everyday.

I have taken this round the trails in Haldon Forest and had mixed reactions mostly good but then even you hardened retro bikers would take the P I'm sure, as there is also snobbery in retro.

Attachments

• 7up 8.jpg
    7up 8.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 330
Re: Re:

hamster":1f8h5owv said:
It is fun hanging on to the 'all the gear' types on a rigid singlespeed either up- or downhill. Of course they have better bikes, what usually is surprising is how little benefit they get from all the tech.

It is indeed! Back around '03-'04 I worked as a seasonnaire in Morzine. Winters were spent chalet hosting and a trail guide for snowboarders and summers were the same for mountainbikers. Some of the best downhill I ever rode.

I distinctly recall one particular group of bankers on their £5-£10k downhill rigs all armoured up in the latest gear as I led them down some mildly technical trails with them calling me to slow down...

...on my hard tail Explosif. :LOL:

Under no illusion that someone with a decent skill level could wipe the floor with me on those same trails and I've never had a fully suspended bike. Although I will be looking out for a Kona Stinky or Coiler once we move house.

I had funny looks at the weekend riding about Surrey on my Spooky with 97 Z1s, to the point even one person questioned if I was struggling on such an old bike (I'm quite unfit lol). They passed me on a snazzy new e-bike, which is cheating tbh. A few people have marvelled at the old Z1s, as I think they get a nostalgia trip when they see them!

It brings me a great deal of fun and enjoyment, so I don't overly care tbh

Back