Anybody built a mullet?

Tootyred

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Been reading some old stuff about Charlie Cunningham at WTB, re building "mullet" bikes.

The idea of having a 700c front and 26" rear sounds interesting to me, especially as it hets you a bit more heads up.

The idea basically replicates the set up on motorcross biles with a larger front and rear.

Apparently they roll over obstacles better, whilst resolving (to a degree) the acceleration issues on a 29er.

I know theres a fair few companies building 29 /27.5, but thats hardly a proper mullet!

Anybody riding one ?

It’s hard to make a bike like this right, to small a difference it’s just puny, but too big it’s a penny farthing…

Back in 99 I was running 24 inch wheels on my spooky to be able to get into skateparks which banned 26 inch wheels. Downside was it wasn’t as good on dirt.

My mate ran a 26 front and 24 rear and it seemed to work well as the bigger front wheel smoothed the judder on dirt. Looked strange though.

Carver did one in the mid noughties, followed by Trek a few years later. Disappointingly both called 96ers.

Principle is sound, but at that point they hadn’t figured out the geo to make 29ers handle like they do now,

Got any pictures or is there a build thread?
No build thread, only photo I have so far is from when I was looking at how to modify the frame.

It’s a mk2 Stooge that had cracked bring the toptube gusset on one side.

Andrew, the man behind Stooge, is actually sending me some bent biplanes so waiting till I get them and see how I can integrate them (it won’t be as forks, I already have a tri-plane fork I’ll use) before I fire up the torch.

I have figured out though that an externally butted Columbus seattube used upside down is a good fit inside the existing seattube so I will be doing that in order to extend the seattube a bit. I’m also tempted to add a bit of length to the front end.

The only brazing I’ve done to it so far is to add a port for dropper post routing. I have a 27.2 brand x post already so will be using that.

Attachments

• 8C60655F-0AF9-4253-90F3-955D06EBA534.jpeg
    8C60655F-0AF9-4253-90F3-955D06EBA534.jpeg
    978.8 KB · Views: 35
  • 456E5594-B8E5-459F-A071-85C26BC66068.jpeg
    456E5594-B8E5-459F-A071-85C26BC66068.jpeg
    437.3 KB · Views: 36
Back