Any shops, online, in UK who sell Retro/Vintage bike parts ?

daugs":1am2oq1j said:
riddim-track":1am2oq1j said:
I live around the corner from vintage bike cave and they always have tons of stuff in which doesn't go on the website, probably worth calling them with you're requirements as they'll almost certainly be able to help.

The real life shop compared to the website is an absolute aladin's cave

are they relaxed about people browsing ? some places get a bit huffy and want to know what you want, its probably not far from me, I've seen some of their stuff on ebay but never ventured to their physical shop ?

If you live in Camden you should go there. When I first found them several years ago they just had a cellar underneath a furniture shop with probably several hundred bikes worth of frames and components squeezed in, I'm sure it violated many health and safety rules but was great to literally dig through stuff. Anyway more recently they've spread actually into the furniture shop and have a huge showroom so browsing is definitely ok. It's worth going there in person, I've always found what I need there in the past and the gut who runs it, Graham I think, is very friendly.

Back in the cellar days it was impossible to find but now very easy. Just ride up Archway road (A1) heading north then after suicide bridge the hill flattens out and there's about 20-30 meters of shops, they are the last one on the left just as the hill starts to rise again, (access is via the used furniture place opposite the small Sainsburys) they have a big shop window on the street so easy to spot, approx 5 doors up from where Archway cycles used to be (?still is). Even if you live in south Camden, it's only 10 - 15 mins max cycle to get there so well worth the trip.

Re:

Whiskers in Goff's Oak have Campag bits going back to the ark. Once walked in there in desperation looking for a replacement adjuster screw for an old Nuovo Record mech, and the reply was "Sure, Alloy or Ti?"

Re:

BigFoz":2v22655r said:
Whiskers in Goff's Oak have Campag bits going back to the ark. Once walked in there in desperation looking for a replacement adjuster screw for an old Nuovo Record mech, and the reply was "Sure, Alloy or Ti?"
Whiskers closed the shop in Goff's Oak about 5 years ago. They moved all the stock back to their warehouse in Welwyn Garden City and sold to the public via a trade counter, but I think they've closed that now.

Re:

Must have been because I moved up north. Couldn't keep the shop going without my regular visits...

Serious shame that, they had everything.

riddim-track":2ljf30zh said:
daugs":2ljf30zh said:
riddim-track":2ljf30zh said:
I live around the corner from vintage bike cave and they always have tons of stuff in which doesn't go on the website, probably worth calling them with you're requirements as they'll almost certainly be able to help.

The real life shop compared to the website is an absolute aladin's cave

are they relaxed about people browsing ? some places get a bit huffy and want to know what you want, its probably not far from me, I've seen some of their stuff on ebay but never ventured to their physical shop ?

If you live in Camden you should go there. When I first found them several years ago they just had a cellar underneath a furniture shop with probably several hundred bikes worth of frames and components squeezed in, I'm sure it violated many health and safety rules but was great to literally dig through stuff. Anyway more recently they've spread actually into the furniture shop and have a huge showroom so browsing is definitely ok. It's worth going there in person, I've always found what I need there in the past and the gut who runs it, Graham I think, is very friendly.

Back in the cellar days it was impossible to find but now very easy. Just ride up Archway road (A1) heading north then after suicide bridge the hill flattens out and there's about 20-30 meters of shops, they are the last one on the left just as the hill starts to rise again, (access is via the used furniture place opposite the small Sainsburys) they have a big shop window on the street so easy to spot, approx 5 doors up from where Archway cycles used to be (?still is). Even if you live in south Camden, it's only 10 - 15 mins max cycle to get there so well worth the trip.

thanks for that, we are just off the high street, although 10 minutes would be going some these days, its nearly all uphill :roll: quicker coming back :LOL: will check it out

Re:

Dave Marsh at Universal Cycle Centre is excellent Dave raced and is ex Carlton so he really knows his onions.

If inner stand correctly you're after wheels?

My suggestion would be Campag record hubs with good rims like the MA2 but try to find the later version rims with stainless eyelets if you can. There were so many Campag hubs made you will always find them particularly on Ebay but focus on good ones with good cups and cones etc.

Otherwise Fresh tripe do retro rims that look nice but are not particularly cheap. Double walled with stainless eyelets.

My own personal opinion is if you get a good set of record hubs they'll, be serviceable and if you get new rims with stainless butted spokes you'll know what you're riding on. I'd give Dave a bell though as I'd be surprised if he couldn't help.

Personally I think EBay is a lottery for wheels you'll never know what they are really like.

Brick lane bikes have a pile of vintage stuff. I have a number of older hubs that I build into wheels from time to time.

Without knowing exacly what you are after it is difficult to know who to suggest.

Back