Any other Brits on here been to Mt. Tam riding ? Marin

Mt Tam

Took our '91 Trek 7000's there in Oct '93. My 1st time in USA. Definitely a spiritual experience riding Eldridge Grade, Hoo-Koo-E-Koo trail etc. This post made me dig out the old photo's (not digi then of course) wonderful memories & boy do I look young! Also visited Durango that trip & saw some of Ned's old bikes hanging from the ceiling in one "cyclery".
We went back a few times in the '90's & rode at Sedona, Moab, Mammouth Lakes, Steamboat Springs, Vail (on the World's course), Winter Park Colorado & more. All amazing.
BTW me & the lady still ride our Treks 12 miles each way to work. Not much love for Trek on this site but ours are part of the family.

WD Pro":d62g76u7 said:
Pictures from last week

You were right here and didn't drop me an email?

I went riding last week in Tamarancho, the private singletrack near Fairfax. As I rode up the hill toward it, I caught a couple of riders speaking German to each other, but they switched to English when I rode along with them.

I guided them over every inch of the eight-plus miles of singletrack in Tamarancho, and left them when they went back for a second lap. After we took a photo and we were about to part company, I told them who I was and one recognized me from "Klunkerz."

We just got our first rain of the next four months, the wet season here. That should cut the dust on the trails a bit.

Nice offer thanks :cool:

But I was on foot and not bike :(

And having not rode for years and just decided to do up the old marin up - I think I would have been a bit slow ... :LOL:

WD :D

i've ridden up and down it three times.
and across a bit of it once.
on a mount vision and a maverick.
i didn't go to the very top,as apparently the native indians think that's disrespectful.
and apparently the green rocks at the top are asbestos.
when i rode down it was illegal,but i saw a few officials and none of them said anything as i flew by.
it must have been tricky on those old cruisers with back pedal brakes.

careful now":hipsyvqu said:
i've ridden up and down it three times.
and across a bit of it once.
on a mount vision and a maverick.
i didn't go to the very top,as apparently the native indians think that's disrespectful.
and apparently the green rocks at the top are asbestos.
when i rode down it was illegal,but i saw a few officials and none of them said anything as i flew by.
it must have been tricky on those old cruisers with back pedal brakes.
As a lifelong resident of Marin, I must say that I have never heard that the Miwoks, our native indians, think it is disrespectful to go to the top of Mt. Tam-there is a parking lot at the top of the East Peak and perched just above it is a fire lookout station that has been used by Rangers since I was a kid. Also, the rocks containing asbestos are called Serpentine and are not harmful at all. As far as riding up or down the mountain goes, there are three main ways to get to the top in the dirt-Eldridge Grade, Railroad Grade, and Lagunitas-Rock Springs road-all of which are legal to ride and always have been. There are a number of hiking paths that traverse the mountain that bikes are not permitted on, but that doesn't matter, as the best ways to get up or down the mountain are the three aforementioned fire-roads. So come visit and enjoy our mountain because we certainly do!

Yeah, I rode there in 91, kinda disappointed too, but it was great to be there. Speed limits were enforced too!

Also did Mammoth world cup in the same year, ok course, fast, monster climbs, warm in the day, freezing at night.

Been to CA lots of times since, santa cruz mtns are real nice, as is Tahoe area. Bass lake in central valley good too...........all good, amazing state, would like to live there.

Latest posts

Back