Any help please - what is this lovely old SS/fixie?

Re:

Only thing I can find, is a 39 Carlton Flyer similar lugs and cutouts on the fork ends the same as the rear stays, near the dropouts.

Simon

Re: Re:

COUPES":1cs60z3p said:
Only thing I can find, is a 39 Carlton Flyer similar lugs and cutouts on the fork ends the same as the rear stays, near the dropouts.

Simon

Thanks Simon! Yup, that is spot on. Now I just need to work out how to date it.

Anyone have a rough idea of what this might be worth, properly restored?

Mike

Re:

Hi, lovely carlton flyer, may I suggest it may be a post war one, 1946/7, as I believe the pre war flyers had a Chater Lea Bottom Bracket, I can't make out what digit is in front of the serial number, that will determine the range of years, if its a 'C' it may be older than 46/47. Terry

Re:

A bit of trivia.....

The brakes although British are GB because the company was named after the owner Gerry Burgess.

Re: Re:

OldTel":mf05lqec said:
Hi, lovely carlton flyer, may I suggest it may be a post war one, 1946/7, as I believe the pre war flyers had a Chater Lea Bottom Bracket, I can't make out what digit is in front of the serial number, that will determine the range of years, if its a 'C' it may be older than 46/47. Terry

Hi Terry, it does indeed look like a C - 12037 afterward

Where might that date it at?

Cheers

Mike

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    26.5 KB · Views: 407
After looking at the 1939 carlton catalogue this is a fine example as identified. Unusual notch on seat lug. As it was advertised as configurable and a varied set of angles, I would have expected some different makes of lug castings. I doubt if Chater cast lugs could be pulled as much as one degree, and these are longer. So Carlton may well have used several different makes.

My best guess is that it is 1939, but I was wrong last time.

Keith

Re:

Hi Mike, yes, if that is a 'C' it is a post war Carlton, I don't know why I said older in my previous reply, as I believe an 'A' would mean 1939, never seen a 'B' serial number ( war time ? ), I think the 'C' serial numbers started in 1947/8. I've had an 'A' flyer and it had a Chater Lea BB, this example is a sensible cast BB which lines up with the late 40's guessimate. I hope this helps.

Terry

Thanks a million Keith, Terry - I feel closer to the bike already :)

As you can see it has a ton of paint on it - Should I go for a full shotblasting? How would I know if any parts were originally chromed? Who to entrust with a respray?

Cheers

Mike

Keith Marshall has been around the block a few times if you are looking for a sympathetic re finish.

There's also Universal Cycles who have ex Carlton staff on the books:)

Shaun

Back