Another exciting campag bb question.

Midlife":2n5slxhg said:
were not BB's for italian bikes a little longer at 115mm because of the wider BB shell ??

Shaun

Yeah according to the velobase link it should be 116mm. It's a sealed unit so the one cup is attached. I wonder if the attached side should be on the non drive side? With the Italian thread it could mount either way. To the shed!!!!

Ok, I think I have definitive answer.
Cups had been fitted right way round, so I re-fitted it and tighten up before taking measurements. Once fitted and tight, the exposed axle on both sides is the same length. I therefore think it's a pista BB that had been fitted and thats why the inner ring barely clears the frame. The bright side of this is at least the crank taper is in good condition and it's only a new BB I need.
If anyone needs a chorus pista bb give me a shout.

Thanks for all your input.

Steven.

As I mentioned it's not my era but as time went on BB axles became symmetrical for road and track.......if it worked before then it just might be easier to buy a "proper" bottom bracket shim, they double up as spacers for old freewheels as well.

Shaun

OK problem solved thanks for all the advice. Midlife, when I said shim what I meant was that the previous owner had used coke can on the taper to move the axle further out. Your idea was good though, unfortunately being an italian bb the cups are too big for a normal bb or freewheel spacer. I did find a company on eBay that did custom spacers though so they made me 1mm thick 36mm id spacers. I ordered 4 but 3 were enough to move the inner ring sufficiently to properly clear the frame.
In an ideal world I'd like to get a proper asymmetric 116mm bb, but these are hard to come by and expensive so this solution is good enough for now.

Blimey, he used a coke can on the taper itself....... not something I've come across before, and I've come across quite a few bodges LOL

Glad it's sorted

Shaun

Back