Aluminium O Middle Age Spread?

I don't know when the practice began but today just about no one quotes the weight of a ready to ride bike, except Giant who recognise that with different frame sizes etc its pretty meaningless so don't list weights at all. When people say " I'm fitted cos my newly restored Marin Beaver Gully weighs 33lbs but the 1992 catalogue says 2oz" they needn't worry because odds are the weight quoted isn't what the buyer would ride out the shop on.

MBR quotes its test bike weights.

As above - tyres and tubes add so much weight and make the bike heavier to ride as you've then got to get that lard up and spinning.

Chopper1192":2t01irfb said:
The problem is there is no universal method of weighing bikes. Most manufacturers quote without tyres and pedals, but that's not set in stone. The exception is Giant who don't officially quote at all, although many large retailers quote their own figures for Giants. This is why chucking our own complete bikes on the scales is unlikely to bear much relation to any manufacturers quoted figures.

+1

If it helps anyone - Poundland has luggage/Fishing scales that go up to 50lbs .
I just bought one and its pretty robust for only a quid ,probably a line from somewhere that was overstocked or not sold. Means theyre unlikely to be around for long so pop down next time youre in a city center and pick one up
I weighed my big Ti and its about 26 1/2lbs which i think is pretty close and fine for me.If you want to know to the decimal place then digital is obviously better but youre not going to get it for a quid ;)
I've got access to some proper weights from an old butchers (14lb+28lb) so ill find out how accurate it is off the bat and see if any adjustment is needed

Chopper1192":3203ziqg said:
Most manufacturers quote without tyres and pedals, but that's not set in stone. This is why chucking our own complete bikes on the scales is unlikely to bear much relation to any manufacturers quoted figures.

Really???????? That makes my 22lb tyred & pedalled Xizang off the scale light!! (pun intended)

Aluminium Ohhh":2t9ddakr said:
Looks like there is weight and then there is weight

Im happy with my method now fully loaded with pedals & tyres suspended from digital scales

The Aluminium O a tad under 28lb (new tyres and tubes on the way)
Santa Cruz Blur 28lb
1995 Orange P7 still in build if I can ever get some F7 forks

http://www.flickr.com/photos/93060315@N ... otostream/

Year anyone?

If we stay by the 4 batches of Alu-O's made principle (all made in 1991 by the way!)
The replaceable mech hanger makes it the 3rd or 4th batch, these would be 1992 models.
I cannot make out but the toptube top mounted cables stops will be neat and welded on, making it the 4th and supposedly last batch. Making it the last of the 1992 (My a batch earlier is in my signature)
But the Purple Ano under that thick purple covering/paint makes it 1993 without a doubt, as it was the only year of it.

Serial number will be A112xxxx

I dont know of any manufacturer that weighed without tyres.

my tyres are over a lb each and they are pretty light. 2 tubes is the best part of half a pound too.

that puts me at 18.2 with pedals....

Fluffy Chicken

Yes my top tube cable mounts are in line and neatly welded
Do you know the reason behind ano purple and then painting?

Back