Alu Rad

markgilbert2969

Dirt Disciple
I have just come across this Kettler Alu Rad Strato.  Sadly its tooo big for me, think I would need a smaller frame. I got it with the idea of getting into retro biking, takes me back to a Champaign Rally Racer I had in 1983. Mum and Dad got it from Halfords on the Never Never...
I would love to sell or swap this for a retro racer one size smaller. The Aero design of all the Shimano gear with the teardrop cross section of the frame is Beautiful.

Equipement/technical data:  (Please remember im new to this....)

-Size of frame: 59cm Space from seat post Top of Frame to centre of head set
The frame is made of Steel, Columbus Tubing, weight - 8.54 kg 
-Wheels: 28 inch/22mm, Hubs: Shimano 600 AX, rims: Mavic Monthelery Route.
-Tires: 28" Tubular, Front Continental Giro. Rear cant see make. (rear will need replaceing, might do it this weekend with a Giro)
-head set: 1" Shimano 600 (still has its original plastic cover.
-Stem: Made of aluminium. Shimano AX,
-Bar: made of Duraluminum, ADB 
-fork: original 
-brakes: Shimano 600 AX 
-crank: Shimano 42-52 teeth,
-Saddle: Original
-seat post - made of aluminium, road, Shimano 600 AX 
-dérailleurs: Front - Shimano Dura Ace, rear - Shimano 600 AX 
-Shifters: Shimano  
-Brake levers: Shimano 600 AX 
-Bottom bracket: Shimano 600 AX 
-cassette sprocket: Shimano 6 speed 

The bike needs a few decals here and there but is in great ridable condition Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Attachments

• IMG_0213.JPG
    IMG_0213.JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 1,514
  • IMG_0212.JPG
    IMG_0212.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 1,514
  • IMG_0214.JPG
    IMG_0214.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 1,515
  • IMG_0215.JPG
    IMG_0215.JPG
    99.6 KB · Views: 1,514
  • IMG_0218.JPG
    IMG_0218.JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 1,516
  • IMG_0219.JPG
    IMG_0219.JPG
    110.4 KB · Views: 1,515
  • IMG_0223.JPG
    IMG_0223.JPG
    131.5 KB · Views: 1,515
  • IMG_0224.JPG
    IMG_0224.JPG
    112.1 KB · Views: 1,514
Re:

rare beast

are you sure its steel for the tubing ?

I doubt it - especially with the weight you mention and the look of the tubes

It really looks like a Vitus 979 frame with bonded Alu tubes bonded to alu lugs so I would not be surprised if it is the same design

Kettler Alu rad did make some city bikes and this looks like a racing version of it

Kettler Alu-rad

No you right it is Aluminum don't know why I said steel. Took it out for a ride today and and is a really cool bike for one of 30 odd years. Just wish it was smaller. I don't really have much idea on retro bikes but I did see one the same sold for £900. To be honest I would just like a swap for a cool retro bike that fits me and a bit of cash to get my van fixed. Do you have any idea what it's worth.

Interesting looking bike:). Is the seat post just about to drop into the frame? Looks a bit small in diameter.

Shaun

Re:

Yes seat post is too low or legs are too short. Seat post is Shimano 600 aero design too. If I was 6"1 I could put the seat where it should be. Did you notice the frame tubing shape, also aero. Rumour has it to keep things streamlined The Germans would ride them nude.

dg01":2azrqaq1 said:
very nice, and quite unusual rear derailleur cabling, and brake calipers, like it!!
think it was all part of keeping the Strato as light and aerodinamic as posible. I don't think it got recognised for innovation that it brought. Cable through frame, aero aluminium frame and aero componants. Just wish it was smaller.

Re:

been offered £350 from a local bike dealer/shop so if i could get a bit more i would be happy. such a great bike just wish it was bigger.

Re:

i had bike like that, Kettler strato, but not in such great condition. also size 59. i wannt to sold him for accessible i low price, if someone have will and skils to repair him. thansk, kresozu@hotmail.com

Back