Alpinestars Almega XTR (1992)

A new Alpinestars Cromo stem arrived today. The old one had no Alpinestars label on it and had slight rust spots and scratches. Just wasn't handsome anymore. I actually found and bought exactly this stem in NOS on ebay. By the way, the seller in Poland still has some of them. Cost me about 32 euros including postage ;)

Now it looks nice again :cool:
DSCI1262.JPG
DSCI1263.JPG
DSCI1270.JPG
So the bike now has new decals and a new stem :)

Greetings,
Olli

A new Alpinestars Cromo stem arrived today. The old one had no Alpinestars label on it and had slight rust spots and scratches. Just wasn't handsome anymore. I actually found and bought exactly this stem in NOS on ebay. By the way, the seller in Poland still has some of them. Cost me about 32 euros including postage ;)

Now it looks nice again :cool:
View attachment 620805
View attachment 620806
View attachment 620807
So the bike now has new decals and a new stem :)

Greetings,
Olli

These stems.....are they weirdly sized at either end like the Alpinestars Easton 7005 stems to fit Alpinestars oversized steerer and bar? Also; what length are they and have you got a weight for them?

Btw; another stunner in your stable. Going off to look at the Japy now!

These stems.....are they weirdly sized at either end like the Alpinestars Easton 7005 stems to fit Alpinestars oversized steerer and bar? Also; what length are they and have you got a weight for them?

Btw; another stunner in your stable. Going off to look at the Japy now!
Yes, these Alpinestars stems are indeed a little weird sized. They are made for the old 28.4mm Alpinestars oversized bars. The clamp for the fork shaft is with 30mm also not standard sized I think. I assume that these Stems will only fit the 1 1/4 inch Alpinestars fork shafts. But I'm not an expert on early Alpinestars stuff. The weight of that cromo stem should be around 200 grams. If necessary, I can put em on the scales to tell you the exact weight. The length is 150mm.

Regards,
Olli

Last edited:
Yes, these Alpinestars stems are indeed a little weird sized. They are made for the old 28.4mm Alpinestars oversized bars. The clamp for the fork shaft is with 30mm also not standard sized I think. I assume that these Stems will only fit the 1 1/4 inch Alpinestars fork shafts. But I'm not an expert on early Alpinestars stuff. The weight of that cromo stem should be around 200 grams. If necessary, I can put em on the scales to tell you the exact weight. The length is 150mm.

Regards,
Olli

I would appreciate it if you could weigh one, for me. These steel stems look like they have zero rise(can you confirm this please?) and possibly they might have a little give in them compared to the 7005 version. Also; could you measure the stack height of the steerer end as i have a minimal amount of steerer to play with.

These weird Alpine Stars stems can be made to work with standard 1 1/8th" ahead steerers and 25.4mm bars with shims, that seem fairly common. The plus side with the larger diameter bar clamp is being able to thread drop/moustache handlebars through them with ease, if that is required, without needing to spread the clamp, or mutilating the bar.

No rush for the numbers.

Thank you / Carl

Last edited:
Yeah, 0 degree rise and it has 46.5mm stack high at the steerer clamp for the fork shaft. I put the old one to the basement. But tomorrow I can tell you the exact weight of it. Sure you could use shims to put standard bars onto it. But I'm not sure if there are shims in that size available. But it is possible. The ebay seller in Poland still has some of these stems for sale.

I will tell you the weight tomorrow ;)

Regards
Olli

Yeah, 0 degree rise and it has 46.5mm stack high at the steerer clamp for the fork shaft. I put the old one to the basement. But tomorrow I can tell you the exact weight of it. Sure you could use shims to put standard bars onto it. But I'm not sure if there are shims in that size available. But it is possible. The ebay seller in Poland still has some of these stems for sale.

I will tell you the weight tomorrow ;)

Regards
Olli

Thank you in advance :)

I have used the aluminium version using a 'stoker stem' shim, that is normally used for a seatpost stem on a tandem, at the steerer end, and a seatpost shim i sawed in two, at the bar end, for a 25.4mm road bar. Works a treat.

Back