Alpinestars Almega XTR (1992)

Ganimed

Devout Dirtbag
Hello 👋

I wanted to show you another bike of my retro collection... the 1992 Alpinestars Almega XTR flagship from the Alpinestars catalogue. These frames are made of Easton VariLite aluminum tubing and came with XTR M900 series components which were introduced in the same year of 1992.
image.jpeg

Bought the 19 inch frame together with the original fork, stem and bar and built it up with XTR M900 parts as it was available back in 1992. Here in an early stage of the built up.
Bild1941.jpg
The search for XTR M900 parts could begin.
IMG_8971.JPG
DSC00203.JPG
As tires I decided to put on a pair of Wolber Avoriaz. These were the first tubeless tires back then, but that tubeless tire system could not prevail at that time.
26106.JPG
pair-of-wheels-mtb-wolber-hose-26-our.jpg
First ride after its built up
Bild2049.jpg
Bild2047.jpg
Bild2053.jpg
Bild2064.jpg
I later made slight changes on the bike, such as ODI Attack grips, silver Gorilla boosters and XTR M900 quick releases etc.

Hope you like it

Olli

Last edited:
Looks so much nicer with the changes you made - especially the tyres
Thank you :)

I had no wheels for the Alpinestars frame when it arrived. So I removed the wheels with the white Geax tires from my GT Zaskar to see how it looks with some wheels attached.

I got a thang for white tyres 😎 How does it ride and whats the feedback on the fork ? 🤔
Hi mate ;)

The Alpinestars drives awesome and the XTR M900 components still work fine on the meanwhile 30 years old bike. The big ODS aluminum fork is certainly very hard as you can probably imagine. After a few minutes of driving you can feel it in your wrists. But this fork is super stiff and stable. If I put my trust in an aluminum fork, it's the one on the Alpinestars. With soft and thick rubber grips on the bar the pain in the wrists is bearable.
Bild2050.jpg
BTW: I also love white tires. :cool: In the early 90s white Onza Racing Porcs and later Panaracer Magic. But I still have a vintage set of NOS Onza Racing Porcs on my GT Richter 8.0 but they are not for driving.
DSC00082 (2).JPG
On my 92' Zaskar I drive on white Geax Saguaro. Not vintage, but nevertheless it looks nice and they drive well 🥰
gt zassi 92.jpg

Regards,
Olli

Last edited:
Back