Advice wanted: Quill stem bolt for 1993 Kona velocity stem-Cinder cone restoratiom

plasma2873

Kona Fan
Hi,

I’m just restoring a 1993 Cinder cone, however the previous owner seems to have made a mess of replacing the headset bearings. I think I have the parts to restore the impact headset, but there is no bolt for the Quill stem. Is there an exploded diagram of an impact headset of this era?

What thread bolt do I need? Any particular type of steel. I’m thinking the bolt needs to be around 10-12cm long (frame is an 18 inch size) but may need to be longer.

Of course the top bolt cover is missing too, but I may have to live without that.

I’ll probably sell the bike after restoration, almost everything seems original apart from the tyres, but I wanted to get it rideable again before I decide what to do with it.

Thanks in advance,

Stuart

Not sure how helpful this is as I only have 1992 and 1994(?) Velocity stems. For what its worth the '92 with the steel wedge seems to be M8 standard thread. The later one is M7. Both are around 14 cm long.

I don't know of any diagram of the Impact headset but there's a pretty detailed description here http://www.bikepro.com/arch_products/headsets/ajoemurray_hset.html
In ´93 they used much shorter bolts on the Velocity stems, fastened deep in the stem to save weight. Hence the OP can get away without the top cap, which was just a plastic cover on these.

Not sure with thread/size as I´ve sold my ´93 Explosif, but should be standard M8/1,25 coarse and maybe 80mm length.

Thank you Jon and Dr Dremel.

I concur that the stem bolt must be very short, I figured 80-100mm based on my measurements, but this didn’t seem to match 92 or 94 stem bolts.

Your advice is gratefully received. Thanks for taking the time to help me,

Best wishes,

Stuart

Those bolts are common to all quill stems w/ minor differences. If i were you i would visit the nearest old bike shop that predates ahadsets and ask to se old damaged left over quill stems (even i had 4 or 5 i constantly canibalized for bolts). If it´s too long it will work anyway. Main thing is how the bolt sits on the top of the stem (if that makes any sense) but i am sure eventually you will find it.

Back