Advice Sought on Modern(ish) Campag Chainsets

The Campag 1988 Dealer Parts catalogue ( available on velobase.com ) is very useful for stuff from this era.

Does the Buzz frame have Italian or English BB threading? If the latter, I've got an unused (modern) Veloce BB with a 111mm ISO spindle. Drop me a PM if you're interested.

Rooting through my 'collection' I have found an Athena cartridge BB in good condition and tried it with the LH set of cranks. It seems to work OK.

Being used to Shimano BB's which have a 'flange' on the fixed side 'cup' I'm not sure about the proper fitting of the Campag design which can be screwed right up flush with the outside face of the shell. Does this mean that you can 'adjust' the chainline slightly by screwing the 'fixed' side in even further so that it is slightly recessed?

Old Ned":45th73n9 said:
Being used to Shimano BB's which have a 'flange' on the fixed side 'cup' I'm not sure about the proper fitting of the Campag design which can be screwed right up flush with the outside face of the shell. Does this mean that you can 'adjust' the chainline slightly by screwing the 'fixed' side in even further so that it is slightly recessed?

Sounds like it to me. The cheaper Campag BB units use the FAG-type fitting with a proud-standing lip on the cups, but the more expensive ones that use a splined fitting (identical to Campag cassette lockrings) don't, as per some Miche, Stronglight and Race Face sealed units. So yes, if you want your drive side crank toed-in towards the stay a little more it should be possible to do this as above. Obviously, make sure your non-drive one isn't then sticking out by a country mile as a result!

David

Thanks David, that's basically what I thought. I will be fitting a largish inner ring so might need the axle slightly longer anyway for it to clear the chainstay. I suppose that if you screw it in so far as to make the non-drive side stand out a fair way then a lockring could be fitted.

EDIT - tried it this afternoon and it seems to be OK. Chain line is pretty good with still sufficient room for a larger ring - which I now find that I haven't got! I therefore need a 48-49 tooth 135BCD chainring.

Correct BB for both of these is 111.

Athena 2X adjustable cup version is perfect for either of them. It's one of life's great mysteries why they stopped making those BBs. I've started hoarding them.....

Back