Advice PLEASE?? Shimano AX cable routing on AX bars.

MrW":2cwdbio4 said:
Plus any excuse to post up more pics of the RRA!
smiley-laughing021.gif
Only trying to help
smiley-gen128.gif

Sorry but I totally diasgree with Ian on this one.
IMO the correct cable position is on the Front of the bars Not the back. you only have to look at Single grove handle bars they are on the front. From memory we only got the double grove bars when Campagnolo introduced their Ergo power levers.
All that aside this Shimano Spec sheet clearly shows the Outer brake cable on the front of the bars

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-04-30 at 14.02.30.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-04-30 at 14.02.30.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 371
stringfellow1946":2yapfl5r said:
Sorry but I totally diasgree with Ian on this one.
That picture shows nothing but a see through view of the bar cable position, so that can't be judged/determined if the cable is on the outside or inside.

Having worked in a bike shop many years ago and fitted the 600AX & DA-AX brakesets to bikes, I can firmly say that the cables are infact placed on the outside of the bars.

Re:

I'll throw this into the equation...

The 1983 Raleigh Pulsar and Quasar had Shimano Adamas AX aero levers, and the cables on those were routed at the front...

Maybe someone just needs to jump in the Tardis and go back and check?!

Re: Re:

MrW":1d98dg6k said:
I'll throw this into the equation...The 1983 Raleigh Pulsar and Quasar had Shimano Adamas AX aero levers, and the cables on those were routed at the front...
The Adamas AX is a completely different type of lever! The cable can be set up in two different ways.

Trying to remember but the cable can be routed either on the inside or the outside because there are two slots on eitherside of the housing.

If the dual levers are fitted then the cable is routed on the outside.

Adamas AX was a terrible set and the chainset flexed like a banana!

Regardless of what is right or wrong I found it more comfortable to have the cable on the outside of the 'bars. It gave a little extra support for the heel of the hand when climbing on the tops.
That's how it was routed on my Dia-Compe levers BITD and it's "more aero" as well.

Mark.

Re:

Thanks fellas.
Looks pretty conclusive from the pics and the links to the Shimano docs. Cable to the rear as is, get the correct cable tray thing that goes over the cable not under.

OCD put to rest! can finish and ride into the sun.
Happy tour of Yorkshire.

TP in Sheffield

Back