Advice please re: AS Gillott road bike

Re:

Many thanks BB for all this information. I had been told by my Dad that AS Gillott was a famous marque. It was interesting to read the history of the company.

The inscriptions on both sides of the rear axle hanger looks to be "SIMPL". I couldn't see the letters "EX".

I've rechecked the measurements - the seat tube length is the same for both C-C and C-T at 65cm. The top tube is 62cm. As I said the first owner was very tall.

The build date of 1949 would make sense from my knowledge of the previous owner - John Barker (of Sheffield). I think I probably acquired the 'bike around 1965

A brief update. Thank you again for your advice. It has been fascinating to find out more about AS Gillott and my 'bike in particular. I've met up with some really interesting people - including one (former) champion rider who spent time inspecting the 'bike and reckons that it was originally owned - and raced - by a racing team mate of his from Sheffield. Lots of history....

I received several offers for the 'bike and felt that the only fair way to proceed was to put the 'bike up for auction - so it is now listed on eBay - closing this afternoon.

I'm hoping/expecting that the 'bike will end up with someone who will be able to restore it to its former glory.

Back