Advice please re: AS Gillott road bike

RMHM1

Retro Newbie
I'm a newbie and I hope I'm posting in the right forum and that this is a permitted question.

I have an AS Gillott road bike that was bought for me around 50 years ago by my father. Apparently it was "hand made" for a friend of his; the problem was that he was at least 6" taller than me! Despite this I did enjoy riding the 'bike in my teens/early twenties. However the bike has since languished in my garage unused for far too many years. It hasn't seized up - nor has it been in an accident (certainly not in my time) but cosmetically it is not in A1 condition. Spokes & chrome have inevitably deteriorated and unfortunately I returned home from work one day to find that my (then) young son had decided to repaint the bike white. The bike used to have a light and dark blue finish as I recall. It remains a piece of craftsmanship underneath though.

I think I have some spare wheels for the bike in a loft. If I've done this accurately the frame measures 25.5" (or 64.5 cm) from the centre of the crank to the seat tube. The wheels are 26".

My question is whether this 'bike is likely to be of any interest to a collector - and if so what is the appropriate market place? I've found a serial number stamped under the crank - I think it is 949780 or 49780. This could be a police mark though I guess.

All/any advice welcomed.

Many thanks

Richard

Re: Advice re: AS Gillott 'bike

Photos as requested. I've had to reduce the resolution/change the format; I hope they are clear enough.

I look forward to receiving any advice for re-homing the 'bike.

Thanks

Richard

Attachments

• AS Gillott 1.jpg
    AS Gillott 1.jpg
    354 KB · Views: 585
  • AS Gillott 2.jpg
    AS Gillott 2.jpg
    261 KB · Views: 585
  • AS Gillott 3.jpg
    AS Gillott 3.jpg
    247.9 KB · Views: 583
  • AS Gillott 4.jpg
    AS Gillott 4.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 584
  • AS Gillott 5.jpg
    AS Gillott 5.jpg
    345 KB · Views: 584
  • AS Gillott 6.jpg
    AS Gillott 6.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 585
Re:

I’ve sent a copy to someone who might help answer those questions.

Re: Re:

Lazz":1z0wzq2i said:
I may be interested when you know what price you are looking for

Thanks Lazz. I've really no idea what the market is for bikes like this. Hopefully I will find out soon.

Re:

Following the guidance on this page, it would suggest that the frame was the 780th built-in 1949

Have a look through Mark Stevens extensive collection in Flickr

What inscriptions are on the rear hub?

And the frame, to my eye, does not appear to be as big as you report. Is it these points you have used?
framesize1498817997.png

Back